"the Nerve..."

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm by ccr03

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 42

"The nerve of some people!" tapedshut.gif So, I get this phone call from a lady that wanted a wedding cake for her daughter's wedding in "3-days". 3-days!!

She wanted a 4 tier with each tier a differ flavor, all fondant cover with fondant flowers - roses mostly in 4 differ colors for each tier. AND, she wanted a "going away cake" on the side also. icon_eek.gif

Now, I never met this woman or ever spoke to her before.. She stated she was referred by a friend of whom I did her wedding cake for. THEN.. we get down to pricing... Before I could finish the pricing info, she pops out and says;"But you only charged my friend 1/2 price for her cake". Yeah,,, I did because her cake was only a 2 tier and she gave me a two week window!

So, now when I advised her of the time frame given and having to make the roses, etc.. it was on very short time!! So, I stuck to my guns and gave her the price, of which she said, "well, that's not fair, you charged my friend 1/2 price and charge me "more".
By this time, I was getting red in the face.. icon_twisted.gif
I told her that was the price because of what she wanted plus the "going away cake" and the very short notice, etc...
I felt I just was not going to bend anymore because to me it just seems everyone wants a "free cake" and fails to realize all the work going into making, decorating, driving, settting up, nerves etc...

So, then this lady starts to cry on the phone, (an attempt to make me feel bad) and tells me she is in such a jam because "her daughter" just told her she was getting married "quickly" (whatever that meant).
I still did not bend....
She said then that she could get someone else to do the wedding cake etc.. and I said, "ok, whatever your requesting, I am sure you will get". And I told her I was so sorry I was unable to help her.........

41 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 42

What a butt.

I hope she chokes on that Wal-Mart cake, 'cause that's all she's gonna be able to get with that short notice.....

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 42

Good for you for sticking to your guns! Also you reserve the right to discount to whom YOU decide to discount!! And 3 days notice in unacceptable! Some people just don't get it I guess!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 42

Was she talking about 1/2 price per-serving? Or 1/2 price total price of the cake? Because she's ordering twice as much as "the friend".

And how is it not fair that you give "a friend" a discount and won't give "a stranger" a discount? icon_confused.gif

Read this to hubby, who said, "That's why we dont' discount!"

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 42

Around here, you have to give the grocery store at least a 10-day notice to order everything.

I need your backbone! icon_rolleyes.gif

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 42

Indy...

She wanted 1/2 price for the "whole thing" to include the going away cake!

And, and... the lady whom I did her 2 tier wedding cake for, well that cake was only a 12 inch bottom and a 8 inch top (that's what the bride wanted in sizes) AND.. and,, she supplied her own silk flowers for me to put on the cake.

That's why I told my hubby, sometimes, I just don't get it............ icon_confused.gif

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 42

I am proud of you that you stuck to your guns.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 42

4 tiered cake four a quickie wedding? No way, I bet she ticked off the original cake person and now she's trying to find a new person pronto.

I forsee twinkies and ding dongs at this wedding!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 42

Hooray for you! Good job of not letting that pushy "lady" intimidate you into doing something that you'd be sorry for!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

What a butt.

I hope she chokes on that Wal-Mart cake, 'cause that's all she's gonna be able to get with that short notice.....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 42

yep...pretty nervy...especially since you don't know her from Adam...
Have you called your friend and asked her what the deal was? I would be curious to know what she told her and what she thought you would charge for the cake. Also ask your friend how long ago she recommended you to this women.

Teri

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 42

I don't think people really understand how much effort goes into a cake. I had a very lovely, sweet woman come for a tasting about three months before her wedding. We discussed the design, she loved the cake, so she went ahead and placed her order with me. I told her that day that I required half of the cost of the cake two weeks before the wedding, with the rest paid on her wedding day. She agreed and left all of her contact information with me. Well, come two weeks before her wedding, I haven't heard from her. I call repeatedly, she wont answer her phone, email her everyday, to no avail. A few days before the wedding, I give up, thinking that she had decided not to get the cake. The day of her wedding, I get a call from her. Is the cake ready? icon_eek.gif I'm like, are you serious? Told her everything I'd done to get in touch with her, left voice mails, emails, (she lived in Memphis, 80 miles from me) etc. She goes into hysterics! "I have to have a cake at my wedding!" I finally break down, tell her I'll get a cake there, make a three-tiered cake from start to finish in 5 hours. While I'm setting up the cake in the reception room, her aunt comes over and says, "So, did you just forget to make the cake or something?"

Like you said, the nerve...I charged her double. icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 42

No way! People are just plain stupid.... and you know she told everyone that you forgot about her cake....

Etchlain09 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 42

She probably did! I set her aunt straight, though hehe.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

4 tiered cake four a quickie wedding? No way, I bet she ticked off the original cake person and now she's trying to find a new person pronto.

I agree completely! Usually a quickie wedding is only going to involve immediate friends and family -- and a "small" cake! My guess is that it is possible she heard of what she thinks is the "half price deal" and decided you would be much cheaper than her original decorator.

Good job on not budging!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by etchlain

Oh tell! Tell! Details!! We want details!! icon_surprised.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:

I'm thinking the ding dong was the one in the wedding dress! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Etchlain09 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchlain

Oh tell! Tell! Details!! We want details!! icon_surprised.gif

After all that I had done that day, I wasn't really in any mood to be the gracious cake lady...I basically told her that no, I didn't forget, wasn't in the practice of forgetting my customers and that her niece had failed to pay the deposit and answer my messages. She apologized, so we did part on good terms. I just hate that I'm such a pushover lol.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #19 of 42

You can't even get a wedding cake from a supermarket on 3 days notice! You need at least a week for them to order the supplies...

people are ridiculous-good for you on not budging!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #20 of 42

Unbelievable!! People seem to think that we put batter in a mixer put it in the oven and pull out a fully decorated cake!! Good on you for sticking to your guns. I bet you would have been even more ticked off with yourself if you'd given in to her "demands".

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #21 of 42

If the aunt is brash enough to say that to you, then I'll bet she'll also be sure to let the whole family know that she has the "real" scoop! Good for you! thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #22 of 42

Oh, come on guys! The bride probably watched the same Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show I watched with my granddaughter today. It is a birthday and they make a cake, pop it in the oven-then out comes a three tier decorated cake! Just like that! Poof!
Now how is she to know that's not how real cakes are made?

Seriously though you were right to stick to your guns with this pushy person.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #23 of 42

Hey, if Disney can do it, why can't we??! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, congrats for sticking to your guns, charging extra, and setting the family straight!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Whoo-hoo!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 42

Hey, if Disney can do it, why can't we??! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, congrats for sticking to your guns, charging extra, and setting the family straight!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Whoo-hoo!

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #25 of 42

Glad you stuck to your guns. thumbs_up.gif The nerve of some people.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #26 of 42

Wanted a discount so it would be half the cost? Nice, I would ask her if she can walk into a car dealership and ask for that nice Mercedes to be priced as a Ford focus. Wonder how long it would take for the salesman to stop laughing.

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #27 of 42

Good Job in being firm...I imagine we ALL have had to have that conversation at one time or another. I'm glad that you were able to handle the client AND provide her with a ckae on her wedding day...I don't know if I could have pulled it off!

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

What a butt.

I hope she chokes on that Wal-Mart cake,

that is not very nice!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #29 of 42

Well, yes, the lady was being a pain in the butt.
However, I"m not sure the crying was soley to make you feel bad and give in...if her daughter really did wait so long to tell her mom, she is probablly stressed out of her mind, and maybe even scrambling for money. I know I wouldn't have money of the side for something like that, and would be hurt and angry and worried!
I'm glad you didn't give in to the price, though! Despite her issues with time and money, it isn't really your problem. You deserve to be paid what you charge.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #30 of 42
Quote:

that's hilarious!

way to stick to your guns- some people are really too much. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%