Somebody Help!!!!!!!

Decorating By susancakes1 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm by jammjenks

susancakes1 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 10

I am making a lemon pound cake for a wedding and I cant tell when the pound cake is done. When I stick a toothpick in the center, it has a little bit of a dough like consistency. Does that mean its not ready. Im afraid if I cook it too long it will be dry!!!

9 replies
weefoot Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 10

I've never made pound cake. But here is a bump. Somebody will know.

I looked up some info. It shouldn't be doughy in the middle. I'm sure if you let it cook a little longer it will be okay. I usually wrap all my cakes in wax paper and then plastic wrap and refrig at least overnight. It really helps give the cake moisture. I hope this helps.

woodthi32 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #3 of 10

The toothpick needs to come out clean. A pund cake can be very heavy in the middle if not cooked through........Don't worry, if you have a decent recipe, it won't dry out. They are very forgiving.

susancakes1 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 10

So should I put the cakes back in? The inside has a greasy playdough like consistency. It is a ten inch round. Two inches high and its been baking for 70 minutes. I am freaking out

WendyLaLa Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #5 of 10

How long have they been out of the oven?

saap1204 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #6 of 10

Depending on pan size and oven temperature, pound cakes can take anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes to bake completely. They should not have a "playdough" like consistency.

CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #7 of 10

Yes, I would put it back in the oven. It is def. not done yet. Don't wait too long though. Make sure your toothpick comes out clean.

susancakes1 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 10

Thank you so much for all your help! I really wish I could see the inside of a well cooked pound cake so that I can at least know what Im shooting for

woodthi32 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #9 of 10

But pound cakes are not easy. SOmetimes they come out gummy in the middle, which is what I bet you are describing. I have not done enough research into why to tell you. I have only made them for my family.
But they taste greaticon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 10

I bake 11X15 pound cakes all the time. Mine take 2 runs of batter and 1 hr 20 minutes to bake at 325. 70 minutes is normally not long enough for a dense pound cake. Toothpicks (or butter knives at my house) should always come out clean. My pound cakes form a hard crust on the top and I always have to carve a little hole so that I can get a tester in there. HTH for any future pound cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%