I Just Don't Get People~Even The Ones I Know!

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm by loriana

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #31 of 52

I was offering all kinds of cakes to friends/family for practice and confidence to see if I ''loved'' doing cakes, if I could ''do'' cakes, if it was worth the effort to start a business. They know I love to do it. My sister who's my best friend doesn't ask me to make cakes. Not because she doesn't want one i've made, but because she doesn't want to impose (I think lol). My brother overpays me when I make cakes for him. If I refuse his money, he wouldn't ask me to do cakes either.

Maybe they don't ask because they don't want to impose... and/or think you offer out of obligation.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #32 of 52

I can't believe they paid $90.00 for that !!! That is not the work of a pro or someone who is good enough to be in the cake business..

The decorations are cheap esp. the Halloween candy which are probably left over from last years' trick or treat, it's not even Fondant or Gumpaste. And the icing on the top side is so thin you can see the inside cake. thumbsdown.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:41pm
post #33 of 52

That is probably one of the oddest cakes I have seen! And for $90??? It had better have had a gold plate underneath it!!!

But seriously, your cakes are great, and I wouldn't worry about this for another minute. Life is way too short to figure people out!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #34 of 52

I'm so sorry. (And I can't believe she'd pay $90 for that.) Your cakes are beautiful!

My mother in law seems to have a similar issue to my cakes. The rest of the family and friends (and strangers at the party) rave about my cakes. One was auctioned off at my daughter's school fundraiser for $175! Yet whenever we have family gatherings she gets cakes anywhere but. It hurts my feelings. This year's family birthday party she wrote in big letters on the evite as soon as you open it :"We've got the cake!" Family members have asked what cake I'm bringing and I have to tell them nothing. My husband has told people his mother doesn't deserve my cakes. He's so supportive.

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #35 of 52

whoops double post! icon_biggrin.gif

krystyne_wilson Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #36 of 52

Your cakes are WAY better! I think you should cool off about it and talk to your friend about why she did it, really...because maybe she did want to give you a break, and I'm sure hoping she didn't expect what she got...plastic palmtrees and leftover pumpkins? LoL Anyhow you're cakes are great keep up the good work! If she doesn't get anymore cakes from you, it's TOTALLY her loss...

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #37 of 52

Wow, you guys are so supportive! Thank you from my heart. icon_biggrin.gif

krystyne_wilson Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #38 of 52

You're so welcome...that's what this is all about, building one another up!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #39 of 52

$90????
OK, I think I can raise my prices A LOT easier now!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #40 of 52

Looks to me like someone just decided to put a green crumb coat on there and didn't bother going any further!

I cannot fathom how that cost $90.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #41 of 52

I agree with everyone here- the cake really is bizarre looking and cost way too much. I agree she maybe didn't want to stress you out but maybe she also in some way did not want the attention placed on you when people would rave about the wonderful cake you made and brought. Perhaps this bakery is "prestigious" for some people and adds status to her party. People can be weird.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #42 of 52

Here's my take on it.

She really did not want to impose and wanted to you just come and enjoy the party. I have friends like that as well. You offered, she told you she was all set, she really just wanted you to not have to "work" for the party. If you felt that strongly, next time instead of "asking" if she wants a cake, "tell" her you would LOVE to make the cake and it would mean a lot to you. If she still refuses, well then that's different.

As for the brochure - my guess is that maybe they thought the FORMAT of the flyer was pretty good, or just to use it for ideas for your own flyer/brochure. NOT for the cake designs or quality of work featured. I have been handed brochures from other bakeries by friends simply to show me the flyer, not to say that that stuff is better than mine or that those cakes are something to aspire to.

You don't have a business yet, or at least they don't think you do. If you think you do, TELL them you are Open For Business and I bet that the next cake order they place will be with you. Your cakes are a million times better and I'm sure.... No, I KNOW that your friend knows that. Especially if she chose you to be the Godmother of her child. I really believe she just did not want to stress you out with the cake and did not realize what it meant to you.

Best of luck!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #43 of 52

Also - if there are 30 servings from that other cake I can clearly see why it was $90. Now, mind you, I don't think it is a very ATTRACTIVE cake LOL! But I can see where the pricing came from.

And when the time comes and you let her know you really are in business, then don't feel bad charging her at least $3 a serving!! You know she is definitely willing to pay it. icon_wink.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:44am
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Here's my take on it.

She really did not want to impose and wanted to you just come and enjoy the party. I have friends like that as well. You offered, she told you she was all set, she really just wanted you to not have to "work" for the party. If you felt that strongly, next time instead of "asking" if she wants a cake, "tell" her you would LOVE to make the cake and it would mean a lot to you. If she still refuses, well then that's different.

As for the brochure - my guess is that maybe they thought the FORMAT of the flyer was pretty good, or just to use it for ideas for your own flyer/brochure. NOT for the cake designs or quality of work featured. I have been handed brochures from other bakeries by friends simply to show me the flyer, not to say that that stuff is better than mine or that those cakes are something to aspire to.

You don't have a business yet, or at least they don't think you do. If you think you do, TELL them you are Open For Business and I bet that the next cake order they place will be with you. Your cakes are a million times better and I'm sure.... No, I KNOW that your friend knows that. Especially if she chose you to be the Godmother of her child. I really believe she just did not want to stress you out with the cake and did not realize what it meant to you.

Best of luck!

Great great advice!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Don't worry! Your cakes are just beautiful and I think you ought to send that awful pumpkin palm tree cake to the blog:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

It's where it's grave should belong. This blog has only got cakes PEOPLE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR haha!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #45 of 52

Yes! Send it to cakewrecks! I was floored when you said it was $90. My 7 year old cake decorate a cake better than that! Literally!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #46 of 52

I agree that the cake is very odd looking and definitely not worth $90. I understand wanting to allow you to enjoy the party, but not for $90 on something like that. Your cakes are fabulous!

I have a group of friends, that I call acquaintances now icon_lol.gif, that order their cakes from Publix rather than from me for whatever reason. They raved about my cakes, but they automatically go to Publix when ordering for parties that they know I will be attending. icon_confused.gif When they did order from me, one "friend" in particular felt compelled to critique my cakes for hours. Unfortunately, in this business, you can't rely on friends for business, and they can be your worst customers/critics. Of course that doesn't apply to all of them, just a select few.

In regard to the brochure, try not to take it personal. I have a good friend that has given me brochures from other businesses and points out ads she sees in magazines, etc. When I first started, she let me know what was out there so that I could develop competitive marketing strategies. I appreciated the information. I think your friend was trying to be helpful and supportive, not offensive.

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #47 of 52

You guys, Cakewrecks is the BOMB!!!! I just checked out the blog and it's so freekin' funny!

I emailed the pic and a nutshell version of the story (minus any names to protect the innocent cake-muggles) and Jen wrote back with a hilarous reaction! She said she may save it until we get closer to Halloween to post it.

Hey, thanks to all of you for your advice on this. It actually doesn't bother me anymore because of everything you all tossed around here on this thread.

My husband just came in from cycling and asked me what I was laughing so hard about. I told him about this thread and showed him some of Cakewreck and he says," Friends shouldn't let friends shop for cakes drunk."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #48 of 52

Given the choice of people always assuming that I will do the cake for every single event that comes up ..... or having them get a cake from someone else once in awhile, I'll take the 2nd one anytime!!!

You do NOT want to get the family reputation of "Oh you better ask her to do the cake or she'll get all pi$$y and pouty about it!" At that point, you've no idea if they are ordering your cake because it's good ... or just to shut you up.

If the cake is 8" round, it serves 24 x my $3/serving rate = $75 plus add'l charges for the decor. If the cake is 10" round, it serves 35 x my $3/serving rate = $105 plus charges for the decor. I think $90 is about right. (And I'd bet my left arm that if this was a CC'ers cake, there would be LOTS of posts about how it was worth WAY more than $90. Why is this forum so snarky about non-CC'er cakes? icon_confused.gif I've seen it too many times.....)

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #49 of 52

You can not expect everybody you know (family, friend, aquaintence, even someone who has been your friend for 20+ years) to order a cake from you every time they need one. And you really don't want them to feel like they "have" to. A good relationship could be seriously damaged and it's just not worth it...not over CAKE.

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #50 of 52

Made by CC'er or not, the cake itself was not worth the money. I believe that ingred. cost what they cost and that's part of setting a price. But it's what you do with those ingred. that makes up the other part of a price. And, no, I personally wouldn't come on here and say that it was worth MORE than that price if a CC'er made it.

I op'd about the surreal experience at the party, and my feelings at that time. I certainly don't and never said I did expect everyone I know to ask that I'll make them a cake. I'm not that kind of person. it's fine when people get cakes from other bakeries. There's a lot of cake out there! But, I'd offered to do it as a gift to my Goddaughter. They said no, thanks. I was ok with that, and looking forward to enjoying someone else's cake. The rest, as they say, is history. Which is now what it is for me.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Given the choice of people always assuming that I will do the cake for every single event that comes up ..... or having them get a cake from someone else once in awhile, I'll take the 2nd one anytime!!!

You do NOT want to get the family reputation of "Oh you better ask her to do the cake or she'll get all pi$$y and pouty about it!" At that point, you've no idea if they are ordering your cake because it's good ... or just to shut you up.

If the cake is 8" round, it serves 24 x my $3/serving rate = $75 plus add'l charges for the decor. If the cake is 10" round, it serves 35 x my $3/serving rate = $105 plus charges for the decor. I think $90 is about right. (And I'd bet my left arm that if this was a CC'ers cake, there would be LOTS of posts about how it was worth WAY more than $90. Why is this forum so snarky about non-CC'er cakes? icon_confused.gif I've seen it too many times.....)

I don't think this was an issue of the cake being done by a non-CC'er versus CC'er. When someone starts charging $3/serving and above for cakes, there should be a certain skill level that goes along with it...smooth icing and non-plastic decorations. Non-edible decorations can be fine, but not for that price. I, personally, would never let a cake go out my door with the icing in that condition whether it be $15, $45 or $90. With all due respect, for the cost, there could have been a better cake presentation coming from a commercial bakery...just MHO. icon_wink.gif And indydebi, you are so right! We all should start appreciating when we can actually enjoy an event rather than stressing over the cake. I don't think I'll be taking it as offensive in the future. icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

You guys, Cakewrecks is the BOMB!!!! I just checked out the blog and it's so freekin' funny!

I emailed the pic and a nutshell version of the story (minus any names to protect the innocent cake-muggles) and Jen wrote back with a hilarous reaction! She said she may save it until we get closer to Halloween to post it.

Hey, thanks to all of you for your advice on this. It actually doesn't bother me anymore because of everything you all tossed around here on this thread.

My husband just came in from cycling and asked me what I was laughing so hard about. I told him about this thread and showed him some of Cakewreck and he says," Friends shouldn't let friends shop for cakes drunk."

Awesome! I've like set an email thing to pop up when there is a new pic on that blog, it is SOOO funny. Im glad to see the horrible palm tree pumpkin cake will be on there. Ill look for it. It is seriously ugly. No, not the color which alone is questionable, its like a bad combination of technique, plastic palms, candy and bad color. *shudder* icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%