Trans-Fat Free Shortening????

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 4:32am by sweetness_221

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried and had luck with the trans-fat-free shortening, either for baking or decorating?
I have a lot of health-conscious people asking me about shortening in cakes and cookies lately.........
Thanks, Heather

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 7

There have been some issues with come icing recipes, but none with baked goods that I know of.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

I use it for both my yellow cake recipe and my bc, not problems at all thumbs_up.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

My Ma cannot get a cupcake to dome (muffin tops anyone????) using that trans-fat free stuff if her life depended on it.

I have issues with getting stuff to rise with it as well, who knows... As for decorating trans-fat free stuff has brought at least one wedding cake to tears... it was weaping some gunk then started to slide off the cake..

I avoid it as much as humanly possible. Walmart sells a store brand one that still has trans-fats in it... But I guess I'm lucky enough to have stocked up on enough "Crisco Classic" that I've got a while yet before I have to worry...

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 7

try Smart Balance, i used it and it works awesome. i think the new crisco is awful, doesn't seem to work with icings OR baked items.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 7

I use an all shortening BC. When the transfat free Crisco first came out, I found I had to adjust my recipe by decreasing the shortening a bit and using less liquid. No problems since i did that.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7

If you have an Aldi store around you they carry shortening with the trans fat still. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%