Favorite Party Foods (Other Than Cake)

Decorating By 4dollars Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 2:18am by suzylynn58

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 17

I am planning a tea party for my mother 's birthday and am wondering what foods to put out. I've done alot of showers and parties, but never a tea party. The cake will be an italian creame cake. I was thinking of cheese straws, sausage balls, fresh fruit, spinach dip in a bread bowl, but I'm not sure what else will go with a tea party theme. Are there any foods that are "required" at a tea party?

Please help!!! What are your favorite party foods?

16 replies
Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 17

When we did a tea party, we did similar foods that you have listed. We also served chicken salad sandwiches on mini croissants. We also did a veggie tray. Your party sounds like fun!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 17

My family heritage is Scottish, and a cream tea usually includes of course tea! and finger sandwiches (small sandwiches, crusts cut off, cut into small pieces-shapes or triangles) favorites watercress, tomato and cheese, chicken salad. Then there must be scones served with clotted cream and strawberries! Then a little plate of pastries, or a cake. I find the Scottish pastries yucky-sorry if I offended anyone=that's just MHO. They usually are rather heavy (traditional versions often use lard) and filled with nuts and raisins. I prefer Italian or French pastries. My friends always talk about a High Tea, thinking it is more elegant, but actually it is just more filling food, usually eggs and meat, sometimes kippers (smoked fish) with the scones,etc.

Okay-enough of the history lesson.

Your menu sounds delicious and my friends always enjoy vegetables with that dip. If you need something more substantial maybe some wraps-chicken caesar, turkey and brei with honey mustard or vegetable or how about a quiche regular size or made in individual servings?

Let us know what you decide-

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 17

oooh, little chicken salad sandwiches sound good! and scones (i believe i'd pass on the clotted cream though! icon_razz.gif )

if you want to do a fruit tray i have a tasty fruit dip recipe if you'd like it.

ok, now i want to have a tea party!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 17

Cucumber sandwiches...I believe either Sandra Lee or Paula Deen has made it on the Food Network.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 17

I'm English, and my MIL is posh enough to be the queen, so I speak from experience icon_lol.gif . For a proper tea party you must have:

Tea, hot, in a pot, and nice cups and saucers (NO MUGS)
Sugar cubes, and tongs
Little jug of milk
Dainty sandwiches, crusts cut off, white bread
Small cakes, pastries, shortbread etc
Savoury items could be something like sausage rolls or small cheese straws
(All items are finger food - nothing big that needs cutting, except the cake)
Small vase of flowers on the table, real napkins, proper china

FYI Dips are not really at all 'tea party-ish', but if you want one, go ahead.

Have fun!

mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 17

oooohh, I love tea parties! I like to serve little cucumber sandwiches. They are quick, easy and mighty tasty!

Mimi

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 17

Clotted cream may sound gross, but it is actually very good - almost like whipped cream.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 17

I was just about to add what mconery said. When I had my restaurant, we served a tea. In place of clotted cream (which I'm not even sure you can get in the US) we made a mock Devonshire cream. We used cream cheese softened with a little whipping cream and powdered sugar to make it just slightly sweet. It is great on scones with lemon curd or raspberry or strawberry jam.

Susan

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 17

I also simply love high tea but I'm not a huge fan of cucumber sandwiches. I completely agree with what TubbsCookies said please use proper linen napkins and silver tiered trays if you can. A hotel I go to regularly also serves handbag and shoes cookies and mini cupcakes as part of the experience. Have a great time!

MyraNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyraNC Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 17

Cucumber sandwiches, pineapple cream cheese nut sandwhices (I think I found that recipe on Cooks.com) , or Paula's pickled okra sandwiches are good choices too.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 17

Mmmmmm clotted cream... so yummy! The only places I have seen clotted cream in the States are Whole Foods and Central Market.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 17

I like to make Barefoot Contessa's Cranberry orange Scones, but I don't drizzle the icing on top, instead I serve mine with Orange Butter and get rave reviews. I make orange butter by adding orange zest and a little powdered sugar to softened butter. Very yummy!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 17

A few things about tea I learned. ok I LOVE having a real tea but not a lot of people do this where I live.

-another good blueberry scone recipe is at http://www.americastestkitchen.com . I've made it before and its really good!

-you can make a great cream for scones by mixing sour cream, a little bit of gently whipped, whipping cream together. Serve in a cute pot or bowl with a nice jam on the side.

-Make some scottish eggs... Yum!! Can the Scots, English and maybe Australian can post a recipe? Pretty please? icon_lol.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #15 of 17

Oh yeah, I forgot, you can also used slightly sweetened (or not) Creme Fraiche.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 17

I make mock Devonshire cream by whipping heavy cream to stiff peak with a little sugar, then folding in an equal amount of sour cream (for example : 8 ounces to 8 ounces). Chill for 3-4 hours to allow it to thicken even further.

There's a really good magazine out now called "Tea Time" by Southern Lady which has decent recipes and theme ideas.

Leave the chips and dip off the menu icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #17 of 17

That's right, we mixed sour cream and cream cheese with a little powdered sugar for our mock devonshire cream. I remember it had that little tangy taste from the sour cream.

I love Tea Time magazine, BTW!!

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%