Does Anyone Purchase Their Buttercream?

Decorating By sunnybono Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 6:20am by SugarFrosted

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 48

Ok...I have a feeling I'm not alone but I find that making homemade buttercream adds an infinite amount of work to cake decorating. For years I made my own (the Wilton recipe just adjusted somewhat). I frequented a cake decorating store in my area where they had this premade white whipped buttercream in a 23 lb. tub and I BOUGHT some. I did a blind tate test with some friends and customers and no one could tell the difference...and several actually picked the premade one over mine! "Well pooey" I thought, "I'm buying this stuff...besides it's cheaper." It performs perfectly, it does crust enough to where I can pat it down but never ever cracks. It tastes wonderful and frankly I've never tasted any I liked better and I've been to a lot of weddings and parties. I understand the qualities of an Italian buttercream and those that take a lot of heating, cooling etc and I am willing to make those if requested, but seriously...I don't think I'd do cakes if I had to make each batch of buttercream from hand. Am I totally tacky or are there others. I know ther are others because my cake decorating store sells more of that stuff than anything else! Hee hee...just checking. If anyone wants to PM me for what I use...feel free. Just seeing if I'm alone or not.

47 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 48

dude, I'm right there with you! I really don't ever use buttercream (I use whipped frosting almost exclusively), but as I'm getting more requests I just buy the thing. I'm not a big fan on overly sweet frostings (I consider nearly all buttercream overly sweet), so they all taste the same to me.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 48

I have bought buttercream before. I have a few cakes due at the same time and they were both pretty good size so I bought by "bucket o buttercream" at Sams and it worked beautifully. Just added a bit more flavor and I was off to decorating. Now some would never hear of that, and I respect their opinion but it sure was nice not spending all that time mixing that stuff up and then cleaning after that. I say when you feel it is alright to do it, then go for it!!! I will do it again if I need to... right now I am okay with making...

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 48

You're not any tackier than loads of bakeries and home bakers. Someone came into our store the other day and asked to buy a bucket of our buttercream.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 48

I am with you on this! Not until recently did I decide that I just might have to start buying my buttercream icing from a local cake supply store. Not sure if I am 100% sold, but I am going to purchase a small tub to test it out and if it's good I just might have to start using the pre-made stuff! I do hate the mess that it makes and can't stand to clean up!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 48

I just got my first "purchased bc" and can't wait to try it. I bought vanilla and chocolate and it crust. A friend of mine got it from a lady she knows that has a bakery. It tastes good by itself but I haven't tried it on a cake yet.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 48

I've thought about buying it from Sam's Club, but I don't make enough cakes to justify buying a 28 lb tub of buttercream. I would love to not have to make my own. I hate the mess! I'm curious sunnybono, what brand did you buy at your cake supply store?

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 48

I purchase most of mine, because it is "oh so yummy", and because I might really stink at making BC! ha ha! Maybe I got a bad recipe for vanilla BC, because I'm normally good at baking! I make ganache, chocolate frosting, loads of fillings... but the BC I'm having trouble with. I don't know why. Maybe it's an environment thing, I tried it when it was about 80 degrees inside (100 outside)... it tasted good, but it didn't keep & I couldn't trust it to put it on a cake. I have other icings that turn-out great, so I'm going to try again on the BC, but when I have a TON of cakes, it's SO much easier to just open a new pack & decorate! My people know what I use, and that most of my things are scratch, but it is time consuming! =)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 48

I don't think it makes you tacky, it's a personal choice. It's no different, I think, than those of us who buy Satin Ice and the like rather than make fondant. I prefer to bake from scratch (all my cakes, fillings & frostings, etc.), and while I DO make fondant myself, frankly it's just not worth it for me to do on a regular basis, when Satin Ice had done it so well lol... so i feel the same. I'll keep making my buttercream, like i said, it's just because I prefer it... don't let anyone rag on you.

sunnybono Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 48

Ok...here's the info on the best crusting/tasting buttercream I use and have for about 5 years:

Best Brands Corp. (from Minnetoka, MN)
Item # 1524-54
White Creme Whipped Icing
24 lb. resealable tub
1-800-866-3300 X2000

It sounds like it is not buttercream...but it truly is. It stands up incredibly in heat and is good to keep at 80F degrees or less...also I feel like it's best to use within three months (but it never lasts that long at my place!). Don't leave it in your hot car or it can kind of change the flavor. I would say it's a pretty stiff buttercream but is easily thinned with water for a crumb coat or for piping writing. I am glad that many of you don't think I'm tacky. I feel like I do some darn good cakes and wouldn't use anything I didn't think I'd like to eat myself. Yet I truly admire you cake artists who truly make each batch of buttercream. Whip on sisters...but I'll buy mine for now.

Thanks for not flogging me! icon_biggrin.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 48

icon_smile.gif I agree! When I have a lot of cakes I use Sam's brand of Butter cream. I make my own for many other cakes, so far I have had no complaints on the Sam's icing. It sure saves alot of time and I hate the clean up.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 48

I'm going to check out the Sam's brand bc, I wonder if it comes in a smaller container as well. So far the only pre-made icing I've used was Duncan Hines Whipped fluffy white under fondant, it worked great when in a hurry... But it would be great to have that option for a crusting bc as well

sunnybono Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 48

I found that I didn't like that Sams brand as well as the one I used from Best Brands Corp. It didn't take color as well...but I think I'm just used to the one I have used for a long time.

raquel1 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 48

Do you order the Best Brands one or can you find it at a store? it sounds great but since I have a Sam's near by...

sunnybono Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 48

I get it from a baker's supply in OKC...but I wonder if you couldn't call that 1-800# and find out the nearest supplier. I really really recommend it more than the Sams. I have used both and this just performs better. BUT the Sams is a decent second. I swear, I would almost do anything not to actually make it all the time. When I was making it from scratch I would sometimes under estimate the amount I needed and then have to make more. thumbsdown.gif But with the large amount it really leaves me with plenty of room to use as much as I need. After several years with it I am comfortable with how much I need to complete an order before I purchase more.

raquel1 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #16 of 48

Thank you so much, I will call tomorrow and get the nearest supplier. It just would be nice to be able to skip that step if possible...

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #17 of 48

Never. BC is to easy to make. By the time it takes to run to the store to get it. I can have enough to fill a 7qt mixer bowl. It only takes 1/2 hour to make it.

Mike

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Never. BC is to easy to make. By the time it takes to run to the store to get it. I can have enough to fill a 7qt mixer bowl. It only takes 1/2 hour to make it.

Mike

I agree-but it is much easier to use that half hour to get on with the cake, if you already are stocked up on your BC. I used to make my own, but ever since we started using buying it in large pails-life is a tad easier. I am never running short,not complaing about crisco problems and dont have icing sugar all over me..yeah!! icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #19 of 48

I have been wanting to try a good premade buttercream, but they just aren't available in my area. (Sams doesnt carry the buttercream you guys are talking about...the bakery department uses bettercream and will sell it to me, but I don't care for it. Its too sweet)

mona1949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mona1949 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #20 of 48

I purchased a sample package of icing from Dixie's and used some of it yesterday and love it. The sample package was I believe $15.00 for the different types of icing that she carries. Taste great. I have also bought the 28 pound pail from Sam's and will be using that today at VBS to frost cup cakes.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #21 of 48

I have been using the Sam's buttercream since finished the Wilton cake classes. I doctor it up a bit. It saves me so much mess. i did just buy the Dixie's sample package and am going to try it on my mothers birthday cake. It does cost more than Sam's. I tried to get Brill but they want a $150 min order and I do not make that much cake. I am going to check out this Best Brands Corp stuff.

Buy ready made stuff. I find it is well worth it.

Mike1394 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #22 of 48

I can't bring myself to use Bettercreme that stuff will be sitting in landfills after the plastic has disappeared. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to use it. You can set it out on the counter, and leave it, and it won't go bad.

Mike

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #23 of 48

I use to make my own buttercream.... then it happened...I had a 4 teired wedding cake and 3 other cakes due in one weekend....and as i have a full time 9 to 6 job during the week their was no way I was going to get it all done...... so I consulted others on cake central and I did it......I bought my first BUCKET O BUTTERCREAM...lol from sam's club...the stuff is great...it crusts wonderfully and never cracks....make beautiful roses.......and my friends and especially family love the taste......

Well that was the weekend of May 3rd. I'm on my 3rd bucket almost ready to buy the 4th and I will never go back.......... thumbs_up.gif

So go ahead...take the plunge....you will wonder why you have been killing yourself and doing all those extra dishes and spending all that extra money making your own!..........just think a 30 min trip to sam's club can save you hours in front of your mixer......and you will have all that extra time to do what we really love....DECORATE!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #24 of 48

Nope. I love making buttercream.

Mike1394 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:03am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTakeTheCake

I use to make my own buttercream.... then it happened...I had a 4 teired wedding cake and 3 other cakes due in one weekend....and as i have a full time 9 to 6 job during the week their was no way I was going to get it all done...... so I consulted others on cake central and I did it......I bought my first BUCKET O BUTTERCREAM...lol from sam's club...the stuff is great...it crusts wonderfully and never cracks....make beautiful roses.......and my friends and especially family love the taste......

Well that was the weekend of May 3rd. I'm on my 3rd bucket almost ready to buy the 4th and I will never go back.......... thumbs_up.gif

So go ahead...take the plunge....you will wonder why you have been killing yourself and doing all those extra dishes and spending all that extra money making your own!..........just think a 30 min trip to sam's club can save you hours in front of your mixer......and you will have all that extra time to do what we really love....DECORATE!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

I know you already know this, but for others that might not. You didn't buy bUttercream, you bought bEttercream w/ an E. It's a non dairy frosting that has a shelf life of 5-6 days.

Mike

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:04am
post #26 of 48

I bought Dixie's, and I like it, but everyone else prefers my homemade BC. Ugh...

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #27 of 48
Quote:

Quote:

Good Luck!!!!

I know you already know this, but for others that might not. You didn't buy bUttercream, you bought bEttercream w/ an E. It's a non dairy frosting that has a shelf life of 5-6 days.

Mike

Mike,
the buttercream from Sam's has a shelf life of a few months. I was in there 2 days ago, thinking about buying some, and it said very large on the bucket...expires 10-2008...so, where do you get 5-6 days?

Mike1394 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhooper12000

Quote:

Quote:

Good Luck!!!!

Mike

Mike,
the buttercream from Sam's has a shelf life of a few months. I was in there 2 days ago, thinking about buying some, and it said very large on the bucket...expires 10-2008...so, where do you get 5-6 days?

Once on the cake in direct sunlight. Sorry I should've been clearer. It's bEttercream not bUttercream. Buttercream is a dairy product. Bettercream is a flavored mass of preservatives.

Mike

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #29 of 48

Oh, I was wondering. It's all bad for you anyway, lol....I think I'll try it.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #30 of 48

Sams Club sells both bUttercream and bEttercream. and no, they are not the same thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%