Give Me A Break

Decorating By jamhays Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm by jamhays

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 33

I have a double layer 1/2 sheet cake due tomorrow @ 2pm for a lady's 90th birthday party. Her daughter is a cake decorator...so she KNOWS what cake is suppose to look like. The only reason SHE didn't make it, is because she's busy with the other details of the party & her mother lives with her, so she couldn't make the cake w/out her mom seeing it.

So, last night I bake both cakes. I plan on making the icing & decorating today. Only husband decides that today is the day he will tear out our kitchen to redo our counter tops!

As soon as I finished baking last night, he took our stove out. This morning he pulled out our sink & has now taken off all of our counter tops!!!

I can work on the kitchen table instead of the counter tops, but when he was doing all that...he got sawdust all over everything in the kitchen!!! NOW ALL of my decorating stuff is covered w/sawdust & I'm going to have to wash it all before I can use it. And since I have NO SINK in the kitchen, I guess I'll have to wash it all in the bathroom.

I kept putting this off all day, hoping that he would get the sink back in so I could finish my cake....but since it's now 7pm here, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet & start carting all my stuff to the bathroom.

Do I sound 1/2 as frustrated as I am?? icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_redface.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

32 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 33

You should have found a reason to send him to the hardware, or auto parts, or sporting goods store.

It was a great way to get rid of my ex for a few hours, so I could get something done around the house without him under my feet. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #3 of 33

Ok what ever happened to communication. Why did he decide to do counters when you have an order. That doesnt make any sense. I would give him a piece of my mind. Tell him he better get those cabinets installed and sink and he has two hours or he will be staying up with you late at night making that cake lol. Good luck

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 33

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! icon_eek.gif I would be FURIOUS!!!

Why on Earth would he do such a thing? Did you tell him you had an order? What did he say about that? Is it a paid order???

Man, I feel bad for you.

jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 33

Yes it's a paid order. I told him I had the order days ago, but you know how well guys listen sometimes. He took 2 days off work to do the kitchen.

I'm trying to be patient w/him because he is usually SO helpful w/my cakes. But this one was just NOT good timing.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:09am
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

Yes it's a paid order. I told him I had the order days ago, but you know how well guys listen sometimes. He took 2 days off work to do the kitchen.

I'm trying to be patient w/him because he is usually SO helpful w/my cakes. But this one was just NOT good timing.

Was he not around after you baked the cakes? Did he not see the cakes? Did you not remind him last night that you had a paid order to do? Sounds like he's hinting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 33

I read this to my hubby, who said, "What the hell is wrong with that guy? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"

Does he have an attitude of "oh, it's just a little cake! something the little woman does to keep busy!" or does he really acknowledge this as a real PAID order ... a business?

Can you imagine the turmoil if you decided to rearrange his garage while HE was in the middle of a project? icon_eek.gif

I'd probably be showing him some multiple uses for my rolling pin and THEN showing him my new storage area for it as I shoved it there!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'd probably be showing him some multiple uses for my rolling pin and THEN showing him my new storage area for it as I shoved it there!

. . . OMG . . . I laughed out loud . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . . . ain't it the truth though . . . icon_eek.gif . . . what was he thinking icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

Quote:

. . . OMG . . . I laughed out loud . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . . . ain't it the truth though . . . icon_eek.gif . . . what was he thinking icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

LOL...too funny!!!!!

On the bright side, at least you have a husband who will do things around the house. Mine doesn't...and when he does, it takes me a long time to fix it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

Quote:

LOL...too funny!!!!!

On the bright side, at least you have a husband who will do things around the house. Mine doesn't...and when he does, it takes me a long time to fix it.

OMG, tell me about it! My DH has SO Many projects going on that are half done! Then he will go out and buy all this stuff and then pile it up in the garage for OTHER projects!! It drives me nuts. Finish SOMETHING!

to the OP> My heart goes out to you, I would be killing my DH if that did that to me! I hope at least you enjoy your new kitchen once its done!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 33

Seriously...post pictures after the re-do. Leave out the pictures of your new...ahem..."rolling pin storage"...icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 33

No offense but your DH isn't doing you any favors by working on the kitchen when you have a paid cake order due!
I would make him cleanse all my work stuff then tell him to put the counters back so that I can finish my work then he's more than welcome to redo the kitchen!

jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 33

The cake has been delivered. They loved it.

I had to make trips up & down the hall to get water from the bathroom sink. All my decorating stuff is still piled on the kitchen table coated w/bc. You KNOW how hard that stuff gets! Well, I can't soak all that stuff in our bathroom sink, so I'll leave it right on the table until he gets the sink put back in, so HE CAN WASH ALL OF IT.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 33
Quote:

Well, I can't soak all that stuff in our bathroom sink, so I'll leave it right on the table until he gets the sink put back in, so HE CAN WASH ALL OF IT.

Well I'm glad you got it done & that they loved it!

Now make sure you stick by your words and leave the mess for HIM to clean! thumbs_up.gif

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 33

Ok...I'm going to side step the obvious communication disaster. You need to get that cake and all your supplies out of that house. We have redone a kitchen or two and the dust gets everywhere!!! Go to a friend's, neighbor's or inlaw's house. Or even a church kitchen...they might call it charity. You are truly going to risk your reputation as a cake decorator if your client's guests bite into a gritty cake. Cover that cake immediately and get it in your car and get out of there. Seriously. You can talk this out with hubby later...at least you're getting a kitchen redo.

jamhays Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #16 of 33

The cake was already baked & in the freezer before he started tearing stuff out. I waited until he had packed up for the night before I washed off all the supplies I needed to use, then I finished the cake.

I work w/the lady that bought the cake, so I will talk w/her tomorrow. I'm Positive the cake was clean & I will verify that tomorrow.

No more cake orders until kitchen is finished. So he has until July 25th icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:34am
post #17 of 33
Quote:

I had to make trips up & down the hall to get water from the bathroom sink. All my decorating stuff is still piled on the kitchen table coated w/bc. You KNOW how hard that stuff gets! Well, I can't soak all that stuff in our bathroom sink, so I'll leave it right on the table until he gets the sink put back in, so HE CAN WASH ALL OF IT.

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 33

OMG sounds like something my DH would do...

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 33

I have paddle you can use if you wanna icon_smile.gif Just kidding-maybe-! I know what you mean about the 1/2 finished projects everywhere. Soemtimes I would like to send him off for the weekend and rent a dumpster! I think if he came back with a clean start he maybe wouldn't get distracted so much lol! Glad you got your cake done and everything worked out. I would have to have a talk with him and make sure he knew that when I was baking- steer clear if the kitchen! When I'm working on a cake I swat at the kids and the hubby with a dish towel if they even attempt to walk to close to the kitchen! icon_smile.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #20 of 33

My DH is no Mr. Fix-It, but he is a Mr. Clean!! I've lost count of the number of times he has thought he was being helpful by cleaning the kitchen...only then I get to play "Find The Decorating Supplies" because he puts them away in the oddest places.

Oh, well. At least he tries! icon_razz.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:

I read this to my hubby, who said, "What the hell is wrong with that guy? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"

Does he have an attitude of "oh, it's just a little cake! something the little woman does to keep busy!" or does he really acknowledge this as a real PAID order ... a business?

Can you imagine the turmoil if you decided to rearrange his garage while HE was in the middle of a project? icon_eek.gif

I thought MY husband was the dumbest husband! Remember the leaf blower in my house, when I asked him to vaccuum the stairs? LOL I think my DH has been dethroned as King of the Dumbasses.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:

indydebi - You have such an amazing way with words. You are too funny! icon_razz.gif I rarely ever laugh out loud when I'm reading these posts, but you just crack me up!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 33

this was probably one of the funniest threads I have ever read. icon_smile.gif You all made my day!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #24 of 33

Its funny but most men think of it as a "hobby" not a business. My DH calls it that all the time. I reminded him of all the income I made from the weddings this past Spring but its still a hobby to him. And he believes that the checking account is "his" money because he works full time and I dont. He doesnt think there is anything wrong with him spending money we dont have if he feels like buying himself something. But if I buy supplies for cakes then Im "wasting our money".
I dont know why they think that way. Some men are just wired that way I guess. Ive tried to beat it into his head that just because he gets a paycheck doesnt mean that he's the only one working. I have two small children who are too young for school, I run the house, the cake business, take care of the girls, and do all the landscaping. I dont think he could afford my paycheck if he had to pay me for all the hours I put in!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #25 of 33

you're right on, weirkd. it's infuriating! icon_sad.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Its funny but most men think of it as a "hobby" not a business. My DH calls it that all the time. I reminded him of all the income I made from the weddings this past Spring but its still a hobby to him. And he believes that the checking account is "his" money because he works full time and I dont. He doesnt think there is anything wrong with him spending money we dont have if he feels like buying himself something. But if I buy supplies for cakes then Im "wasting our money".
I dont know why they think that way. Some men are just wired that way I guess. Ive tried to beat it into his head that just because he gets a paycheck doesnt mean that he's the only one working. I have two small children who are too young for school, I run the house, the cake business, take care of the girls, and do all the landscaping. I dont think he could afford my paycheck if he had to pay me for all the hours I put in!

That's why I cash - not deposit - the checks I get and keep the cash I get from cakes COMPLETELY spararate from other money in my wallet (I love my little hiding spot!) I use the money I get from cake orders to purchase additional supplies/ingredients. He's got NO idea how much extra I have from my hobby once all is said and done. He used to say "you're kidding, how much" when he'd hear how much I was asking for a cake ... my last one, though, he said "Is that all?" I'd do almost anything (legal) to get new countertops and a sink .... add new cabinets and I'd think I was in heaven! No chance of hubby doing that (he's still recovering from a bathroom remodel 5 years ago) .... That's what my extra $$ from my hobby is going towards and he'll have no say in it since he rarely even makes himself a PB&J let alone puts a dirty dish in the dishwasher! Won't he be surprised when IIIII rip the countertops (& more) out of the kitchen!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #27 of 33

Yep. Infuriating is the right word for it! And when I was working full time I didnt get any help at home. I was expected to do that too!
I guess we are just wired differently but I just dont get how they think. Or lack there of!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #28 of 33

I hear ya all on the 'hobby' thing ... hubby used to make noises about how he "put up with" all my stuff around .... and you've all heard this story a number of times ... until I wrote the check for the down payment on his first-time-ever-in-his-life brand-new-off-the-showroom-floor only-had-12-miles-on-it pickup truck.

Yeah....NOW he takes it seriously!

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #29 of 33

My hubby has finally accepted the mess after all these years. But I too am married to a neat freak and I can't tell you how many times he would just haul off and clean up my cake decorating things and a tip or to or ten would end up in the disposal and crushed!!! UGH. Also, I too play "find the cake supplies" as with my popsicle sticks from last weekend for a cupcake bouquet I was putting together. Hmmmm. BUT the upside is that my hubby never minds going to the cake store for me which is close to his work. He can get all my supplies and navigate that store much better than myself. Yes, he too calls my cakes a Hobby...but that Hobby bought a custom designed table and chairs that we use every day. His hobby is remote control airplanes and believe me that has never done anything but COST. (But my real hobby, scrapbooking...now that really costs a pretty penny...but I use my cake money to support it).

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:01am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

And when I was working full time I didnt get any help at home. I was expected to do that too!

Is my husband living a double life? Are we married to the same man?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%