Fmm Tappits Alpha Set - How Do I Use Them?

Decorating By 1234me Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:10am by fiddlesticks

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 11

I know I have seen a tutorial somewhere. I have used them once but after that I have had no success. Can anyone help me?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16145

10 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 11

never mind - found it icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 11

Roll your gum paste thin and place tappit over it then move it around till it cuts through. Tap the tappit against your hand or the counter to release the paste. I let it sit a few minutes after it's realeased before I try moving it so I don't distort it. I grease my tappits so they release easier but if they don't you can take a needle and pick up a corner to get it started then pull it out.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 11

When I was working with these for the first time I found that rolling them super-thin works and they also letting them dry slightly before pressing - it helps when they aren't 'wet'. I also let them dry before I move them otherwise their shape gets all wonky.

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 11

I'm so glad I found this, I was trying to use these last night and had real trouble.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 11

can they be used with fondant too? i cant wait to try mine.
my writing is HORRIBLE!!! to say the least!

~Shannon

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 11

If you make the letters out of just gumpaste Do people pick it off or eat it ? I know how hard gumpaste gets ! I dont think you want to eat it do you ?

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:09am
post #8 of 11

I only use fondant when I cut out the letters. Roll it out really thin and let it air dry for about an hour before cutting your letters out. I find that when I let it dry, it don't need to grease the cutter. The letters just pop out when tapped. Even the Funky Letter cutters with all the curly bits do not stick. I used in the my Backyard fun cake.

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks!! What fondant did you use MMF or Wilton ? Cute cake to !I just bought the funky letter cutters ! I also never thought about letting it dry beofre I cut it .

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

I use Bakels RTR (ready to roll) which I buy from my local cake decorating store. I have never used the Wilton brand and I don't think it is very popular here in Australia. It does not seem to be very well liked in the USA too!! icon_lol.gif I have read lots of threads that say that it tastes terrible.

I'm not too sure about MMF but you could give it a try. I think MMF has the same consistency as fondant so it should work.

Best of luck thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #11 of 11

I also hate the taste of the wilton fondant ! I love the Satin ice fondant ! I just wondered ! I also like the MMF ! THANKS !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%