Help Please, With 1St Attempt At A Stacked Cake

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm by shannycakes321

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 7

Well CC,

This may not be what you pros call a stacked cake, but to a rookie like me this what I call stacked. I'm making a full sheet cake covered in fondant & plan to also add a smaller round fondant cake on top of it. I have read so many posts about how to stack, dowels (wooden or plastic) vs straws & frankly I'm so confused. My rookie questions is: when I prepare that smaller cake to rest on top of the sheet cake all I need to do is just insert dowels into the sheet cake & place the small one on the dowels? icon_confused.gif I really do apologize for such a silly question but I just picture that cake just crushing the bottom one. I'm sure I'm just over thinking this whole cake, but I'm a goober like that icon_biggrin.gif. Can some please put my nerves at rest & tell me I have this correct & it will work? Thanks again CC for all the help.

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 7

yes. I use bubble tea straws cuz they are so sturdy and easy to cut.
cut them just to the height, or just a tad above the top of your cake. the round cake must be on a cake board of some type before you place it on the dowels/straws.

HTH

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 7

you will be just fine and no question is stupid to ask around here!!!

I use the same thing Sugarshack uses.. bubble straws. Make sure your circle cake is on a board and since you are just putting it on top of a sheet cake, and nothing else on top, you might even think of using regular drinking straws, which I have used before when not stacking a lot of cake. Just cut the straws to the top of the cake and go for it!!!

You will be fine!! Post a picture when you're done

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have never used the bubble tea straws, but you have intrigued me. A simpler way to cut would be wonderful. Are they as sturdy as dowels, how much weight could be stacked on them?

FATLADYSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FATLADYSCAKES Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

I HAVE USED BOTH STRAWS AND DOWEL RODS. STRAWS ARE THE BEST AND EASIEST TO WORK WITH. ALSO THE PLASTIC DOWEL RODS ARE OK.
FAT LADYS CAKES

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! Thanks Sugar Shack for the quick response, I really appreciate it thumbs_up.gif . I'm going to order those straws right now, they just seem alot easier to deal with & as long as they are sturdy that will work for me. The closer I get to having to do this cake my more my stomach hurts. I know I can do it, I'm just picturing myself in tears soon as I hit the first bump in the road. I can't wait until this is done & I can post pictures so I can get some feedback.

shannycakes321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakes321 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 7

My exact question answered! I am constructing the same style MMF covered cake (sheet +round) AND including a fondant piece on top of the round one, and I also had horrible visions of the top layer slowly sinking into the bottom. Thanks for asking this and to all of you folks with the experience to answer it!
I think I will use dowels (plastic?) instead of straws for max strength. Thanks for the reminder about a cake board under the round layer that goes on top of the dowels, I almost forgot about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%