Question About Candy Melts

Decorating By catin Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 5:53am by Ruth0209

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I just recently purchased Candy Melts to start making figures with but I was wondering if it would work like MMF or Better?

Does it harden like Fondant does ? I would like to get some feedback on this before I attempt the Figures .

**For those of you wondering what types of figures I want to attempt ... well I have a Tinkerbell Cake come up and a 1st Birthday Cake come up in the same week . I want to make the Tinkerbell and a Few Butterflies out of the Candy Melts ( Like that they can enjoy the figures as well as the Cake )**

Your Help is greatly appreciated ... Very talented and knowledgable people .... thumbs_up.gif

Julie

7 replies
catin Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone !!! Please ... need to get started ... Just want to be reasured before i start .

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 8

You know you need to make candy clay from the candy melts in order to use it for figures.

It will harden, especially if it can be refrigerated after construction.
I think it is more susceptable to melting than dried fondant.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 8

In my experience, if you want to make figures you are better off making them with fondant.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:50am
post #5 of 8

I agree, i would use modeling chocolate or fondant. Candy melts MELT!

catin Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all , I purchased the Candy Melts to make Chocolate Modeling Clay . That is why I posted the question .

I just wanted to have feedback to see if it would be better then Fondant.

I will be attempting a figure tomorrow , after letting the modeling Clay set overnight . I will post to let you know if it worked .

Thank you again .

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #7 of 8

I love candyclay but it can be very hard to work with. Especially after you've worked a piece for a few minutes-gets real soft. I usually mix equal parts of candyclay with fondant. This makes it a little easier to work with. Good Luck!! icon_wink.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:53am
post #8 of 8

I use gum paste rather than fondant for modeling figures because it hardens better than fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%