Www.cake-Business.com Quesions

Business By eiyapet Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:42am by Justbeck101

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 19

I keep seeing the banner add for www.cake-business.com. Have any of you actually bought the e-book and is it worth it? I am expanding from 1500 sqft to 12000 sqft and adding parties and a cyber cafe and was wondering is it would be useful. I am so leary of scams and giving out my CC info online.

18 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 19

Personally, I don't trust it.

1. If it's that good a book, why isn't available as hard copy?

2. From what I understand, people in the 'know' know that a novice baker is not someone who can easily start a cake business as they claim.

3. Where are the book reviews? Critic and user

Maybe I'm too cynical about it or also leary of scams, but personally, I don't trust it.

psambar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psambar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 19

I am the publisher of this book and I can assure you it is not a scam.

1. In addition to the ebook, it is available as a hard copy (paperback)
2. We never handle anyone's credit card information (processed by a third party)
3. There are numerous outlets for purchasing the book including Amazon.com and local book stores ( we are in the registry of all Books in Print).

With that said, it is however, written for those who are in the very early stages of starting a cake business -- many of the same issues and questions discussed here on CC, are also discussed in this book in more detail and in a sequential manner. It may not be a big help to someone who already has a shop and is expanding.

To say "anyone can start this business -- even a novice" is not meant to diminish the hard work it takes to start a cake business. Rather, it is meant to encourage someone who really wants to try but may be very new to caking.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 19

Gotcha!

Thanks for the info.

eiyapet Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 19

Thank You Psambar, I have been burned on this kind of stuff before and I am always leery now. I was actually more interested in the cake designs and the recipes that come with it than the book on start up itself.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 19

And who are you, Psambar? Are you a commercial publisher?

Anyone can self-publish. It takes a few hundred dollars.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:21am
post #7 of 19

I have bought this book in the hardbound edition. Although alot of info I have seen on here, I did like having it in book format. There are some stuff I will never need, but alot of it has been helpful. I am looking at going legal when I move and it is a good starting point. It is not real thick and would have liked a little more for the money. But I have many book shelves with that same issue.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:35am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

And who are you, Psambar? Are you a commercial publisher?

Anyone can self-publish. It takes a few hundred dollars.

Nobody questioned SugarShack about why she thought she was qualified to sell DVDs (she totally is - I love them).

Let's show this person the same courtesy, please?

eiyapet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 19

I went ahead and downloaded the ebook version and all of the extras and I have to say I am VERY impressed. This is a great resource for all bakers! The recipe collection and gallery is worth the price alone. I have not finished the book yet, but even though I already have a running business that we are getting ready to expand, I have already learned a lot of new things and the book is full of things I have not thought of yet.
Awesome job, and I would recomend this to everyone in the field! icon_biggrin.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Nobody questioned SugarShack about why she thought she was qualified to sell DVDs (she totally is - I love them).

We're all free to publish.

But it's deceptive for the author to imply that a product's having been published and being orderable through Amazon demonstrates anything at all about the product, and that was the point I'm trying to make. You, I, and the guy who cuts my lawn can all write a cake e-book and pay to publish it ourselves, and Amazon will be happy to process orders for all three of our books. Doesn't mean the books are, or are not, worthwhile in any way.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Quote:
Quote:

We're all free to publish.

But it's deceptive for the author to imply that a product's having been published and being orderable through Amazon demonstrates anything at all about the product, and that was the point I'm trying to make. You, I, and the guy who cuts my lawn can all write a cake e-book and pay to publish it ourselves, and Amazon will be happy to process orders for all three of our books. Doesn't mean the books are, or are not, worthwhile in any way.

I agree. And nothing wrong with asking someone who published it, or what their background or qualifications were. But there is a polite and an impolite way to ask...

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 19

sorry wrong topic...

Ito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ito Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 19

I was just about to post a question regarding the validity of this book, and when I came across these responses about the book.
I have been looking for a book that will give me information as to pricing, contracts, and so on and so fore in major detail. No one I have talked to seems to want to or be able to offer me any clear guidelines on how to go about handling the business related questions of Cake Decorating. I am new to all this.

Then today I came a cross the advert to this book as well as the advert for cakeboss.com and was wondering if they are both worth getting????
From what "psambar", (the publisher) stated here in the forum, it is available on Amazon.com however when I checked, they state on their website that they don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. So I guess for those of us who need some guidance in starting out can order the book from the advert link.

I have read the home page of the publisher's website and there is a money back guarantee if you do not like the book for any reason.
You do not need to return the book if you ask for a refund. I guess that should show some legitimacy with the purhasing of the book.

But then, 'psambar' why would'nt you ask for the book back if you spent a lot of your presious time in publishing this book?????

eiyapet Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:25am
post #14 of 19

"Your purchase of the ebook, recipes and image gallery comes with a 90-day, iron-clad, no-questions-asked, 100% money-back guarantee. If at any time in the next 90 days you feel that this ebook just wasn't worth the money you paid, let me know and you'll get a full refund. Please note, if you purchase the paperback version, it must be returned in new condition to receive a full refund."

Maybe you didn't read the fine print correctly, you DO have to return the paperback version - but, how would you return an e-book anyway?

If you are new to the biz, it is a great and innexpensive resource. The price is worth the recipes alone in my opinion. I am already established and I just completely changed my contracts because there was a ton of things I never thought to put in there that the ebook package brought up.

psambar - you did a wonderful job on this book, and I am sorry if I started a post that is causing you grief.

psambar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psambar Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito

...why would'nt you ask for the book back

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The site has been updated to clarify the return policy for the paperback book. We ask that books be returned in the same condition (new) that they are sent out for a full refund.

Ito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ito Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by psambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito

...why would'nt you ask for the book back

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The site has been updated to clarify the return policy for the paperback book. We ask that books be returned in the same condition (new) that they are sent out for a full refund.

psamber,
From what I read........... I understood that you were not asking for the books back. I think this is a great book to have especially for a beginner like myself. I just felt that all your efforts would have been in vain if you did not ask for the book back, after a refund had been given. I do realize that you know what you are doing, and I admire you for writing this book.

Thanks once again for your efforts in printing such a much needed resource to at least assist others like myself.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #17 of 19

I'm glad i found this post...i was wondering myself about the book.
Now I must have it!
It's amazing what can be found here at cc. I want to read and know all. Its never going to happen...but i keep trying thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:46am
post #18 of 19

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. lol I'm going to order and probably read it on the plane to Cake Camp after DH falls asleep.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #19 of 19

I purchased this ebook and I enjoyed it. I thought there was some really good information in it. It was well worth the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%