Doctored Red Velvet Recipe???

Baking By brink317 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:16am by latenitebaker

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

Im a box mix baker and am looking for a good doctored Red Velvet mix. Can anyone help?

Also, Ive never had Red Velvet cake before, what is the general taste of one?

Thanks much! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6

red velvet is a light cocoa flavor. The only interesting thing is the pretty red color.

You can probably use the same techniqur for other enhanced mixes, but it will require some additional red food color.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 6

I recently made a doctored red velvet cake. I tried several different ways to do it. But what I liked best was mixing one red velvet cake mix and one German chocolate cake mix together, then I added extra red food coloring. Got great compliments on the flavor. Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

I was just about to post the same question! Does anyone know if you can use the WASC recipe and just tweak it a little bit?

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 6

Im the original poster and I use the WASC as my base for all my cakes, and I think that is what Im going to do with this.

I may use a German Chocolate Mix, use the directions like the WASC, but use double the vanilla extract and not use the almond extract. And add in Red food coloring.

Does that sound like it would be OK? Ive never had Red Velvet before so I hope this works!

Glad to know Im not the only one looking for a doctored Red Velvet!

latenitebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latenitebaker Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 6

So did it work? What did you ice it with? I have a request for a red velvet wedding cake with ivory colored icing. I've never had red velvet and don't know what icing will be best and decorate the easiest and hold up to the wedding demands! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%