Butter Cream That Doesn't Have To Be Refrigerated?

Baking By armywifebryan Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm by jenncowin

armywifebryan Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have a sheet cake to make for tomorrow. I thought I had everything ready to go, but I now have to make a HUGE sheet cake that won't fit into my refrigerator. Does anyone have a buttercream icing recipe that I could leave out on the counter overnight. The party is tomorrow at 1 pm. I already have the cake baked, just need the icing to finish it off. I have a few recipes but am not sure if they have to be refrigerated or not. I just always put them in the fridge regardless, but this time it is not an option. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Teresa

5 replies
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 6

Most buttercreams can be left at room temp. I only worry about ones that contain eggs. The sugar and fat act as preservatives for any dairy that is in the recipe. HTH!

fat-sissy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto to wtoodlesjupiter post.

The only buttercream I refrigerate is IMBC. Or frosting w/cream cheese.

TSG177 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Teresa,

I make my buttercream with just sifted conf. sugar, vanilla, crisco ( I use store brand and it works fine) and water. The more crisco I put in the fluffier it gets. I usually only put my buttercream cakes in the refrig. if the filling requires that it goes in or if I need it to crust a little faster so I can smooth it out. Hope this helps.

armywifebryan Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much everyone. I always worry about what to keep refrigerated and what not to so I usually just refrigerate it all to be on the safe side. I will have to do more research when I have the extra time. It would be soooo much easier to be able to leave things out on the counter. Thanks again.

Teresa

jenncowin Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 6

As long as the icing doesn't have eggs, milk or cream cheese and a filling that isn't perishable, you can leave them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%