Butter Cream That Doesn't Have To Be Refrigerated?

Baking By armywifebryan Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm by jenncowin

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have a sheet cake to make for tomorrow. I thought I had everything ready to go, but I now have to make a HUGE sheet cake that won't fit into my refrigerator. Does anyone have a buttercream icing recipe that I could leave out on the counter overnight. The party is tomorrow at 1 pm. I already have the cake baked, just need the icing to finish it off. I have a few recipes but am not sure if they have to be refrigerated or not. I just always put them in the fridge regardless, but this time it is not an option. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Teresa

5 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 6

Most buttercreams can be left at room temp. I only worry about ones that contain eggs. The sugar and fat act as preservatives for any dairy that is in the recipe. HTH!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto to wtoodlesjupiter post.

The only buttercream I refrigerate is IMBC. Or frosting w/cream cheese.

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Teresa,

I make my buttercream with just sifted conf. sugar, vanilla, crisco ( I use store brand and it works fine) and water. The more crisco I put in the fluffier it gets. I usually only put my buttercream cakes in the refrig. if the filling requires that it goes in or if I need it to crust a little faster so I can smooth it out. Hope this helps.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much everyone. I always worry about what to keep refrigerated and what not to so I usually just refrigerate it all to be on the safe side. I will have to do more research when I have the extra time. It would be soooo much easier to be able to leave things out on the counter. Thanks again.

Teresa

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 6

As long as the icing doesn't have eggs, milk or cream cheese and a filling that isn't perishable, you can leave them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%