Buttercream Nightmares!

Decorating By cakewanda Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm by indydebi

cakewanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewanda Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 9

I could really use some help on this one. I have a wedding cake due in July and she wants all buttercream. The last time I used the buttercream it was humid and I believe it melted. I am really concerned about this one because her cake is to be outside icon_cry.gif Please help me with how to keep this cake from melting - especially when I am frosting and smoothing.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 9

Mine doens't melt. I'm so confident that I should offer a "double your money back" if it ever does!
icon_biggrin.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 9

indydebi, does your buttercream need to be refrigerated?

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mine doens't melt. I'm so confident that I should offer a "double your money back" if it ever does!
icon_biggrin.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

I'll second that!!! I'm in Texas and indydebi's recipe has held up in the outrageous humidity we have here judge.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

indydebi, does your buttercream need to be refrigerated?

Nope! I make big batches (use about 20 lbs of p sugar per batch) and store it in an acrylic container on my shelf.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewanda

I could really use some help on this one. I have a wedding cake due in July and she wants all buttercream.

Did your bride specify a BUTTER-based buttercream? There are plenty of good shortening-based buttercreams that won't melt in the heat (SugarShack has one, I have one that I developed for our Houston climate, etc), but if the bride wants one with real butter, she's gonna be out of luck....but you'll need to find out what she is expecting so there is no confusion.

cakewanda Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

She is not expecting a butter based icing. In fact, I had her taste test one that was just made with shortening and she loved it. I will try indydebi's recipe. I trust her knowledge on this one. Does this recipe smooth nicely with the paper towel method? Indydebi, what are your tips for success with your recipe? icon_smile.gif

cakewanda Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 9

Oh something else - I have been using the high ratio shortening. Will that make a difference in the tolerance to humidity? Does Crisco hold up better to heat?

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 9

I've never paper-toweled it .... I'm a Melvira girl!! Works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%