Help! Dry Gum Paste Problems

Decorating By punkyf Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm by punkyf

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make baby figures for a shower cake. When I mold the pieces...head, arms, body, etc. they are cracking. If I move them to work with them they get cracks all through them. Is there any help for this gumpaste? Can I salvage it or should I just try another gumpaste recipe? I'm starting to get a little frustrated!!!

Punkyf

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

Try kneading in a bit of shortening to help the dryness.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 5

What gumpaste are you using? Have you tried the Nickolas Lodge Recipe? His is really good. Maybe mix the gumpaste with a bit of fondant, it might help it from being too brittle.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

If it's not completely dried, knead some crisco in it , and then try again. That if it's not rock hard and you can still knead it at this point.

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 5

This was the Wilton recipe for gum paste. I think it dries too fast for me. I tried adding some corn syrup to it and will see if that helps. It can't hurt. I will try the shortening too. I hate to waste it. I will also try adding some fondant to it also. I'm not too fast making the baby figure and I think it is drying before I need it to. This baby is flying from Florida to West Virginia on the 4th so I need her to dry pretty hard for the trip. Ok, back to the kitchen.

Thanks for all of the responses. Hope I can help someone someday. I'll let you know if any of the things I've done helps.

Punkyf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%