Would I Dare...choc Ganache And Bc For Outside Wedding

Decorating By cocobean Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 5:16am by milissasmom

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a 2 tier wedding cake. 14" bottom and 10" top. The customer's first choice would be wasc frosted in bc and topped with chocolate ganache, and(raspberry filling). I told her I thought that might be too daring with the hot weather, but told her I would consult a bunch of experts and call her tomorrow. I don't know if it makes a difference that the cake would be under a tent top (no sides). Wedding from 5-7:00 pm. I told her she might have to go with fondant over bc. (She doesn't care for fondant) icon_surprised.gif She is also planning to have fresh flowers on the cake. Please help me out with some advice. One more question. If the 14" is square and the 10" is round and I do the bc and choc ganache, does 280.00 sound o.k. I told her that is 1.75 per serving. That includes delivery and set up. The flowers are being done by a florist and being paid separate.

3 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 4

I had the worst experience with ganache for a graduation cake. I'm in Az, so it might be a little hotter here. It looked like poo. I did have to sit with the cake on the floor at my feet during the graduation (about 1 hour) since I had nowhere to leave it refrigerated. I'm sure that didn't help!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:12am
post #3 of 4

IF the cake can be refrigerated until the last minute, and it is not in direct sun, it would hold for a while before it hints at melting.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:16am
post #4 of 4

Hi, 1.75 per serving is a little low in my area but you need to check with your local bakeries to do a comparable pricing quote to make sure you are not over or undercharging. Also, fondant would be more expensive than Buttercream so it just really depends.

I would not do ganache in a hot climate. Satinice dark chocolate fondant or chocopan might be a much better choice. I use the dark chocolate fondant alot and I HATE fondant but I love the Satinice brand and have found my clients love it too! Good luck with this...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%