Should I Offer A Discount?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 2:35am by JulieB

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 12

My husbands best friend' sister is getting married and has inquired about a cake for her wedding.
Now the thing is my husband has known this friend for 20 years, they grew up next door to each other, so he knows the sister too, however they were never "friends", she was always just his friends sister.
But he has still known her 15 years.
So do I offer some sort of discount?
If it was his friend I would do the cake as a gift, but its not , so what should I do?
If I ask hubby he will say no discount, but he's a little greedy when it comes to cake.
He would charge his own Grandma for a slice of cake.

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 12

I give free delivery (usually) to friends and neighbors, but no discount on the cake.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 12

I would offer one... maybe a 10% friends and family discount. What was your gut reaction? Are you invited to the wedding?

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 12

I would say no. I like leahs idea of free delivery though! icon_smile.gif

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 12

I third that!!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 12

No discount. If you receive an invitation buy them an appropriate wedding gift just like you would any other long time acquaintance. Or if you don't recieve an invitation buy one if you want to bless the happy couple. I mean all things considered my brother's best friend's sister might not make my guest list, I mean maybe maybe not. But the only peole who would automatically be considered for a free cake would be immediate family. Discounts would be given in the way of more pizzazz, an extra filling, extra flowers, putting more oomph into the cake but by no means a reduction of money. That's work.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 12

When she inquired about the cake, did she mention what type of design she wanted? If she wants something super elaborate...well, that is something I would want to know before I even mention the possibility of a discount. I would ask her what her budget for the cake was, too. With all that information, you may have a better idea of how much of a discount you want to offer. I prefer discounts in whole dollar amounts rather than percentages..ie: $10 off versus 10%. 10% may not sound like much for a $60 cake...but takes on a whole new meaning for a $600 cake!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 12

I like the idea about the free delivery, and I usually will do a little extra something special for friends and family, but I wouldn't offer a discount, which I would hope they weren't thinking of when they asked you to do the cake(which I am sure isn't the case). The way I feel about it is they would have to pay for a cake regardless....I would just do something extra to make it more special but charge the regular price thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 12

I agree it can get pricey, my thinking was that taking a percentage off will sound llike more than free delivery... Say she has a $500 cake, the discount would be equal to a $50 delivery fee... I could be way off base here, sorry if I am...

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with everyone, no discount on making the cake. First they have to have a cake for the event, its either you or someone else there paying for that service, free delivery is good with the price of gas...maybe even make there cake alittle special...not so much that it takes away from you.

And I would thank them for letting me part of there special event. Afterwards if they do use you. I would send a thank you card again...congrads to them and telling them you felt honored to be apart of it. Keep it simple.

When I do a wedding or anniv...I send a thank you card ...it helps with business.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #11 of 12

Free delivery actually seems like plenty.

So many do wedding cakes for friends for free. I don't know about y'all, but when I buy a wedding gift, it's $20-$30, maybe $50 if I know them really well. When I got married, most of my gifts were in that range.

Cake is hundreds of dollars. Who gives that big a gift? Even a 10% discount is usually out of that range.

I'm with Kate. Give them a separate gift. Charge them for the cake. Or make it extra pretty, at YOUR! discussion.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #12 of 12

Oops, I mean discretion........... sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%