What Does "bump" Mean?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm by gottabakenow

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #1 of 8

I keep seeing this "bump" word and don't know what it means. Anyone? Thanks in advance! detective.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:57am
post #2 of 8

People do it to move a topic back up to the top of the list, hoping that someone will see it and respond.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 8

Some say it stands for "Bring Up My Post"... But yeah, it's just to keep a thread closer to the top, so everyone can see it!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:08am
post #4 of 8

We have been asked not to bump topics. Many posters who don't get an answer right away, 'bump' their topic to the top. Unanswered question pull up in the "view unanswered" sort.

If you want more information on an old post, you can usually send a pm to the person(s) in the original thread.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:02am
post #5 of 8

You are right Joannb, we have been asked not to bump, but some people just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff, and somehow they are exempt from rules too!!

One of my main gripes about "bumping" is that if I'm watching a particular thread and get a notice somebody has posted to it, it really is annoying when it is just another "bump" post!

Even if you are anxious to get replies, bumping every 5 to 10 minutes is ridiculous, IMHO.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 8

i think you're allowed to bump your own post after a while if no one responds. am i wrong...? i seem to remember seeing heath or someone say that.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 8

Yes that is right cakedecoratingsmything...

AND WE are supposed to bump topics that haven't been answered.. with 0 posts....

I look for posts that haven't been answered... Not the ones that are a couple hours old.. but ones that have been posted for a day or so.

ALSO.. it does get aggravating (sp) when people post a topic then 5 minutes later bumps themselves but maybe they didn't read the rules...

People can be hasty for replies... but there are very nice ways to tell people not to bump themselves... icon_biggrin.gif I LOVE nice icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 8

yes nice is always good and nice and all that. icon_smile.gif i love it when people are nice too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%