Airbrush: What Type Should I Get?

Decorating By MaryV Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm by lilahcakes

MaryV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryV Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,

My DH has offered to get me my very own (and first) airbrush for my B-Day gift this year! I can't wait to try out airbrushing cakes...I can't STAND tinting fondant. To me it's the most tedious part of decorating.

ANYWAY...I'm looking for some advice on what type of airbrush I should get. Any advice of what or even what NOT to buy is greatly appreciated! I can see all kinds of used airbrushes for sale on ebay, any thoughts to getting a used one?

thanks for your feedback,

-Mary

9 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #2 of 10

I just went to Bronwen Weber's airbrush class she recommended www.airbrushcity.com The GD100 pen. We used this in class and it's awsome so I ended up ordering it. They also sell the compressors and if you email them and let them know that you are using it on cakes they will recommend one for you.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 10

Im looking to buy an Airbrush kit...Ive looked and looked...my question is this:
are these regular air compressors??? Sears has a sale for a compressor 2gal. 125 psi and its a craftsman for 100.00 CAN THIS BE USED??? can the pressure be regulated?....I mean can you use ANY AIR COMPRESSOR? or does it have to be for cakes strictly?

Whats better a single action or dual action pen...and why???? How would single/dual affect a design??

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 10

I have seen that you can use any small compressor. I bought a cake air brush kit (compressor and brush) off of Ebay.

2txmedics Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

yes, Ive seen where others have bought a POWER CAT compressor, then I heard they cant find parts for it...so I was wary of that....like I said...Ive been pricing them...and SEARS has a 2 gal...CRAFTSMAN...u and I both know...with that brand if it breaks they replace it for free for years on end....its on sale for 100.00

Im assuming you need a dual action pen...not a single...???

MrsWings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsWings Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #6 of 10

I bought a power cat cake air brush off of e-bay have no idea how to use it. Does anyone know of classes they offer to teach how to do cakes with it?

2txmedics Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif I got mine today in the mail!!! Its one I researched and was recommended...I was so excited I tore open the box...I examined the compressor, and the pen that came with it, and then the GD 100, everyone talked about...well I got "scared" icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif and I put it back away in the box just as fast as I got it out.

It comes with no directions other than how to operate the compressor!!! icon_sad.gif ...so now I seat here and search you tube and anything I can to find online to learn.

HELP....can anyone point me in a direction???

THANKS!!!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 10

There are some tutorials on www.monkeysee.com.
I haven't watched them yet, but you can check them out & see. If you find any good ones, please post. I'm in the market for an airbrush too. Still researching.

AB13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AB13 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #9 of 10

I just ordered one from kopycake. I spoke with someone who highly recommended it (with the pedal). She recommended the top of the line version and said that she has had hers for over 20 years.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 10

Im super new to cake decorating , but i really want to get an airbrush for decorating. The colors i have seen are so cool. May be i should just stick with the basics for now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%