Help !help!with A Cake Price After I Quote A Price. Help!

Decorating By cerobs Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm by diane

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

O.k. here is my problem I gave a quote to a client for a three tier birthday cake (with mmf decortion)10in,7in, small ball cake. I told the lady that cake would cost 75.00 and she paid half up front. I think I under sale myself. What can I do?

12 replies
Genny_yummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genny_yummies Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 13

I really don't think there's much you can do. You quoted her a price and she accepted the offer by giving you a deposit. Only thing I can say is to chuck it up to learning experience. You did under sell yourself, however you made a contract with her with this price and you can't change it. Make sure you really take your time and are happy with the price before you give your next customer a quote.

cerobs Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 13

I did not do a contract because it was less then a 100.00 but I do understand what you are saying.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 13

You may not have made up a written contract but you did make a VERBAL contract; you said to the customer this cake will be $75 I'll need half of the money as a deposit - once she gives you the money the contract is executed.

You must stand by your word and mark it up as a learning experience.

cerobs Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks ladies Hopeful I could get some business from this party.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 13

I would just chalk it up to a learning experience... I've done the same thing a handful of times and it does take some of the fun out of making the cake. Just think of it as one more cake you'll be adding to your portfolio and one more satisfied customer who will get the word out about your excellent services. There's the silver lining for ya!

I wouldn't even consider trying to adjust the price with her, it just wouldn't look very professional. Likewise, when she picks it up or you deliver, don't mention that you should have charged her more. icon_wink.gif

~Wendy

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 13

I must agree with cupcakemaker......to go back and alter the agreement at this point is unprofessional. I have done this very same thing and I learned never to quote prices on the fly. A good rule of thumb is to discuss the order and always tell them you will need to sit down and figure out an accurate quote and then get back to them.

It give you a bit of breathing room to take a close look at cost, etc.

***I should edit this to add that although I said I learned from doing this in the past, I actually did this very same thing 2 weeks ago.......quoted a mere $60 per cake for 2 complete, stacked 10, 8 with an inverted stage and gumpaste wired stars........I couldn't go back and change it. I gave her an invoice reflecting the real price ($150 per cake rather then $60) and insisted that I couldn't accept more money because I didn't want to shame her into paying more for my error.

I just wanted her to be aware of the discount in case someone inquired at the party - didn't want her saying " Oh yeah, these were only $60!!" As I was working on the cakes, I didn't want to feel the bitterness because I was giving them away so I just focused on doing an awesome job so I could add them to my portfolio......try to make the best of it. icon_smile.gif

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 13

yup once you have quoted and she paid a deposit thats it can't change your price, look at it as a marketing expense, advertising.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 13

I actually think she should give her an invoice reflecting the discount otherwise this woman may quote the incorrect price to others or come back in the future thinking she will get the same deal.

I would print something out and put it in an envelope for when she pics up the cake. Don't mention it or anything but at least it's there for her to see when she gets home. As long as you don't make her feel uncomfortable or try to make her feel bad for not paying more, I don't think this is unprofessional. It will prevent future misunderstandings, IMHO, of course.

cerobs Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 13

Im very excited about making the cake and I always what to do my best . While I have another photo to share with my cc family. lol

cerobs Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 13

Here is the photo of the cake.
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 13

Oh that's awesome!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 13

very nice.

yeah...that's worth more than $75.00, but at least you learned from your mistake. i think there's not a person here who hasn't undercharged on a cake. i wouldn't worry about it. live and learn. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%