Why Can't Wilton Take A Hint??

Decorating By doughdough Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 4:44am by tonedna

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 22

While I like and use many of Wilton's cake decorating tools, I absolutely hate their edible products (fondant, icing, etc.). And since I have read many other posts about this, I know I am far from being the only one who feels this way!!

So what do you think the issue is? Is Wilton just more concerned about looks and figures no one will care how it tastes?

I have thought about taking the Wilton courses, but the thought of having to work with their fondant makes me gag! tapedshut.gif

Other companies like Satin Ice have figured out how to make bulk amounts of fondant that tastes good...why is Wilton so far off the mark?? As big of a company as it is, I can't imagine how something like taste could have been overlooked so badly.

Okay, I'm done ranting now...thanks for indulging me! I actually make my own fondant (thanks so much Michelle Foster!!), but this is something I have always wondered about.

21 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 22

yeah I wonder too. I think one of thier concerns (I am only guessing) is to make the product accessable to the masses and that means making it cheap too.

But I don't think a single person who works for them could say that fondant tastes good and keep a straight face.

they offer so many pruducts and most are sub par, you would think they would scale back the # of items they offer in exchange for better quality.

but in thier deffence if it wasn't so inexpensive and easy to buy I would have never decorated a cake in my life and I'm not the only one who started with a wilton piping bag and spatula.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 22

I know several people who don't mind the taste of Wilton fondant. I use it all the time, it's easy to handle. I flavor it with extracts, it's okay.

I've also heard some mention that MMF doesn't taste good. I think it's all a matter of personal preference.

doughdough Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

but in their defense if it wasn't so inexpensive and easy to buy I would have never decorated a cake in my life and I'm not the only one who started with a wilton piping bag and spatula.

I agree whole-heartedly! Please don't get me wrong...I really enjoy Wilton, mostly because they are the easiest to find, and if it weren't for Wilton I wouldn't have taken up this hobby so easily! I just find it odd that they don't seem to know that their food products don't have the same level of taste as other companies.

Julie, you are quite possibly the first person to tell me that you like the fondant! The adding-flavor tip is a great idea!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 22

People on CC have wrote them before. Wilton said they get lots of complaints everyday about their fondant and icings but don't plan on changing them because the sales are so high on these items.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

but in thier deffence if it wasn't so inexpensive and easy to buy I would have never decorated a cake in my life and I'm not the only one who started with a wilton piping bag and spatula.

that is so true. i did start with them, and still do use their products pretty much exclusively. i really dont have any complaints about wilton. then again, i'm not scheduled to rant right now... just kidding.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Wilton said they get lots of complaints everyday about their fondant and icings but don't plan on changing them because the sales are so high on these items.

Well, DUH!! Unless you have access to a private cake supply store that stock Satin Ice or other options, the general, cake-civilian public HAS NO OTHER CHOICE but to buy Wilton at Michael's, HL, Walmart, etc. icon_eek.gif The general cake-civilian public thinks this is what fondant is SUPPOSED to taste like because they don't interact with all you folks out there who make your own or use and recommend other brands.

Henry Ford told the public, "You can have the Model-T car in any color, as long as it's black." He could then turn around and say, "We CAN'T make the car in any other color, because black is the most requested color!" icon_confused.gif

pasteles73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasteles73 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

I have thought about taking the Wilton courses, but the thought of having to work with their fondant makes me gag! tapedshut.gif

Other companies like Satin Ice have figured out how to make bulk amounts of fondant that tastes good...why is Wilton so far off the mark?? As big of a company as it is, I can't imagine how something like taste could have been overlooked so badly.

I took several Wilton courses and didn't use the Wilton icing. I used Satin Ice; so you don't have to use their fondant in order to take their classes.

I think Wilton doesn't "get it" because they sell to everyone who is taking classes. I know I was fortunate enough to have access to CC and know that Wilton Fondant was horrible; so I decided to use the Satin Ice. So, to me it seems as thought "selling" is their primary goal and not "taste" thumbsdown.gif too bad for them.

You never know Wilton might actually hear what some of their customers have to say and look into changing the taste of it. I guess only time will tell icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #9 of 22

Maybe now that Wilton is under new ownership it will start making better tasting fondant. They have already made big strides in their new tools, so it is a possibility.

doughdough Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #10 of 22

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

The general cake-civilian public thinks this is what fondant is SUPPOSED to taste like because they don't interact with all you folks out there who make your own or use and recommend other brands.

A very sad but true fact! I have had to "reprogam" a lot of people about their opinions of fondant, almost always because they have never tasted anything but Wilton!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #11 of 22

You hit the nail on the head again, indydebi.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #12 of 22

I spoke directly to the people in the test kitchen at Wilton. The answer isn't satisfactory ("We're here for the homemaker/hobbyist and we feel that this product meets the needs for that group."), but they've toed that line for years now.

I, too, am hoping that they'll improve it--just look at the new (PME/Ateco style) gum paste tools, the pre-made gum paste (which is wonderful if you condition it properly with a bit of crisco), the impression mats, silicone spatula, cake lifter, etc. Someone in product development is paying attention to the trends and to where decorators spend their $. They just have to figure it out, hopefully sooner rather than later. I know they're missing out on lots of my $$$s.

Ironically, if I don't have a 40% off coupon, that Wilton Fondant is way more expensive than my Satin Ice ($4/lb. vs. <$3/lb.). I often mix the Wilton with my SI to get the great workability of the Wilton and the great taste of the SI.

Maybe some day.......

Rae

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #13 of 22

I don't think Wilton's Fondant tastes that horrible. I like it for modeling, so it rarely gets eaten, but after reading about so much on here about how horrible it is, I was expecting so much worse.

I do agree that they could improve their products, thank goodness I saw the light because taking WM classes will have you believing that they're the end all be all to cake decorating icon_razz.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:29am
post #14 of 22

I agree that Wilton Fondant is horrible. But the ratio of sales to complaints is what moves things. If we want them to take notice, we have to hurt them in the bottom line. So if everyone stop buying the product for a certain amount of time, they would get the message loud and clear.

However for those who don't have access to anything else, these are the ones who will suffer in the long run

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 22

Hey folks,

I teach the Wilton classes and HATE their fondant too. I do love their gumpaste because it is easy to condition and use (as was mentioned). We aren't officially allowed to promote Satin Ice but since MMF is homemade I often play politician and tell my students "You do not have to buy Wilton fondant. There are many good recipes out there for fondant that are very tasty." and then I tell them about CC icon_lol.gif

Wilton fondant is so bad I actually try to avoid having to teach a class that uses fondant. My co-teachers are good about teaching 3 & the Fondant/Gumpaste course right now, and I really enjoy teaching 1 and 2 for the time being. Also we concentrate on royal and BC so... kudos!

As Wilton-contractors, we can send in a product improvement form so I have filled one out for the nasty fondant a few times. One of my co-teachers tells me she has been filling those in for YEARS about the horrific Wilton fondant. Apparently consumer and teachers are ignored alike. At least there is equality in it icon_twisted.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 22

I agree on this in terms of fondant. On the buttercream I have to say that they have to do a buttercream that is workable on a 2 hour class.
When you are working with an icing that has butter in it it tends to melt by half time and is not workable.
Finally after you done with the classes, you can start using the one with butter and it tastes better. Plus people stay usually with vainilla flavor. They forget that they can add other flavors to this icing to make it taste better...
Another thing is...is a good way to learn about icing that crust..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #17 of 22

Maybe a better idea is to bbbeeegggg Satin Ice, FONDEX and Pettinice to start selling at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Walmart. This would help those of us who live in small towns who have no cake specialty stores to get better fondant and perhaps keep prices competative as well.

doughdough Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo_04

Maybe a better idea is to bbbeeegggg Satin Ice, FONDEX and Pettinice to start selling at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Walmart. This would help those of us who live in small towns who have no cake specialty stores to get better fondant and perhaps keep prices competative as well.

I second that! If it weren't for internet shopping, I would be missing out on so much...but I don't love paying for all that shipping & handling. thumbsdown.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

I've always figured that Wilton had some deal with Hobby Lobby and Michaels...because otherwise it seems like they would carry other brands of decorating tools, pans, flavorings, etc...

Oh, and you know the stores are making a ton of money on the wilton stuff...otherwise hobby lobby wouldn't be able to offer the 40% off wilton sale that they do every so often. That means the markup on wilton is at least 40%.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 22

I have had to (in a pinch ) buy the little packets of Wilton colored fondant. Yes it is easy to work with... I REALLY think those little packets are VERY expensive for what you get...

Wow if a reg. house mother can afford to use this on all their cakes I wanna be her icon_confused.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #21 of 22

Wilton fondant is definitely not my favorite, but it does have it purpose. As has been mentioned, sometimes it is all that is available. It is also great for practice, learning the feel of fondant before making your own, and you can let your kids make little figures with it.

Obviously, the company is not suffering in the sales of this stuff and probably won't for quite some time. It is still the most accessible. The other fondants can be difficult to find and as someone said, the shipping can really kill your budget.

Think of it this way, there are many, many products available in every possible market that are horrible tasting, hard to use, etc. Wilton didn't corner the market on this. For some, electronic parts are very hard to get and sometimes the quality is not the best. Even big companies that purchase products from other vendors are sometimes stuck with what they can get.

The free-market system has its good and bad points.

Michele

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #22 of 22
Quote:

I think that Wilton would have a fit if Michaels would sell other fondant. I guess part of teaching the classes is the fact that the products the people have available are the Wilton products..Not the best but is obvious that this company has a very good marketing. They are wide available in all crafts stores and even Walmart ..were other companies have failed in bringing their products so the regular people can buy it.

What is the reason for other companies not to do so?..God knows. But at least we have something available that can get anybody out of a jam. Plus , even though is not the best tasting fondant, at least you dont have to go out of your way to buy an expensive fondant for a cake class were you are learning how to play with it. Wich is the basis of all Wilton products. To teach people about cake decorating.

The problem is ..when we are begining, we are so happy with Wilton..(not talking here about the flavor of the fondant) cause we learn..and when we get really good we forgot how we started...I do wish they change the flavor of their fondant, just like everybody here..But I cant totally put the company down..
I learned with them to decorate cakes..My passion grew everyweek cause of their courses..cause they are accesible and economical..something other people forget when they teach.. Not everybody can pay $300 for a class. I have to say cause of my start with them I am who i am right now..
Hopefully they get better. I understand they are under new managment..
let's hope for the best..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%