How Do I Smooth Edges Of Candy From Moulds?

Sugar Work By thecupcakemom Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 6:03am by sayhellojana

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

I made some seashells and the edges are not smooth. How do I smooth them to look good? Should I just rub my finger until it's smooth? Some pcs are pretty big that I overshot on the mould. Any help is appreciated.

6 replies
thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 7

anyone able to help with this, please???

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 7

I would run my fingers but not on freshly made candy pieces. The fresh candy is still rather soft and if your hold it, it will start to melt. I would wait at least 24 hours before doing this. Then just rub gently with your finger. But I would use my middle finger because you woul want to be gentle.

Hope this helps

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

I always run a palette knife or scraper over the mold just after I have filled them and that usually eliminates rough edges. Thats with chocolate as I have not tried the hard candy molds yet but probably the same principle applies, not sure!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 7

I use a bench scraper to level them off just after I've filled the mold!

buonasorpresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buonasorpresa Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 7

I had never thought of using something to take off the over fill from the moulds! Hmm... I will give that a try for sure!!! I usually end up using a knife and crapping off any of the over flow. But that sounds WAY easier!
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:03am
post #7 of 7

If your talking about the sides being more full than the center so you get little strings on the outside rim, right? I use a paring knife to break them off and then, real quickly so they dont melt, rub the bottom on wax paper back and fourth. It helps level it a little. It does risk melting the chocolate and leaving your fingerprints though, so be careful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%