Mmf Cake - Too Dry

Decorating By kheppe Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm by kheppe

kheppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kheppe Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

I made my first MMF cake. It took me forever to roll out this fondant and to get it on the cake without it ripping and tearing. I watch Ace of Cakes and they just whipped that stuff around.

What's the trick? What did I do wrong that dryed it out so badly. The end result tasted ok, but was so tough it was like chewing on leather. I was very embarrassed.

I don't want to give up and want to try again, but need some suggestions on working with it. I sometimes needed to microwave it to soften it up again in order to roll it out, was that part of the problem? Too much corn starch?
LL

4 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 5

first of all, don't get discouraged!! It takes lots of practice to get as good as those guys on TV!!!! I have been doing this for 15 years and I am still learning!!!!

second of all, they buy their fondant which has a much different texture than homemade fondant. Bought fondant can really spoil you it is so nice to work with

Did you have enough marshmallows? There are two different size bags that look almost the same but you need the bigger bag. I only say that because it happened to me!!!! I don't make mmf anymore (I use another recipe) but I might have tried to add some crisco to it.. or maybe some more water and back in the micro for a bit..

Don't give up... try again!! We have all had experiences like this!!! Maybe try another recipe.. there are lots here on the site!!!

Also.. welcome to Cake central!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 5

maybe try michele foster's fondant. I haven't used it myself, but I heard that it's amazing. cute design!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 5

The recipe that I use is 16 oz marshmallows, 2 to 4 tablespoons water, and 2 lbs powdered sugar, and up to 1/2 cup of crisco for greasing hands and utensils. It's worked every time that I ever tried it, except for once when I used 2 tablespoons of water instead of the 4 tablespoons (to see what would happen). That time it was very hard to roll out, and crumbly. Maybe that's what happened with yours.

I have noticed that the real brand of marshmallows make a softer, easier-to-work fondant than the walmart brand...it's worth the extra fifty cents.

I roll mine out with crisco instead of corn starch, when I'm covering a cake. I use corn starch when I'm making flowers or other decorations, but crisco seems to work better. You don't have to keep flipping it and adding more, just smear the rolling surface with crisco and roll it out, then peel it off and plop it on the cake.

I also have to microwave the MMF sometimes. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's just easier to work with if it's a little bit warm.

kheppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kheppe Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Yes I did use generic marshmallows, I am going to try the real ones next time. I also want to try that other recipe. I am done with the cornstarch too.

I have three cakes to make within the next three weeks. I better get practicing.

Thanks again! I love it here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%