Salt Or No Salt That Is My Question?

Decorating By terrier Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 12:09am by Gingoodies

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I am on a salt free diet for two weeks.... I have to go in for Radioactive Iodine Treatment.....

my question is I am making a b-day cake for my sis this weekend and would like to eat some icon_twisted.gif

can I just follow a cake recipe and omit the salt?

or does anyone have a good recipe that does not add salt to it?

This would be so helpful to me if you could help.

I want to be part of the partyicon_cry.gif

I am going to make buttercream and just leave the salt out and use some fondant to decorate.

Thanks!

Cheers,
ally

6 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 7

I don't know the answer to this...unsalted butter...no other salt in the recipe...maybe you could call the nurse at the office and ask?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 7

It should bake fine, but the flavor may seem a little flat. Be generous with the other flavors. Remember baking soda is a salt.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

salt is needed in the recipe because it reacts with the baking powder to make the cake rise. so soory you can't have salt for a few weeks. i do hope your treatments go well..............

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

Salt plays a big part in making cakes. It's like a back drop so all the other flavors gets enhanced.. How about make a big one for everyone to eat using the regular recipe, then make a small one for yourself.

I would not sacrifice it just for one person. JMHO..

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #6 of 7

Did they say anything about salt substitute?

Also, depending upon the flavor, you can omit the salt. For instance, lemon juice also helps control the sweetness in a cake batter and icing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #7 of 7

You must also remember that there is "hidden salt" (sodium) in almost EVERYTHING we eat. Check the label on things in your pantry. It seems to me it would be difficult indeed to make a totally "salt free" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%