Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 4:04am by servingzero

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #31 of 36

icon_biggrin.gif

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #32 of 36

I think I know why they suddenly want this. Originally the Groom's aunt was to make the cake as a gift. This would be the payer's sister or sister in law.

I was told that the aunt never wanted anyone outside the family eating her cakes so people were surprised that she volunteered to do this. So for some reason she backed out and they called me.

I have a feeling this has something to do with a discussion had by the two sisters about the cost of this cake.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #33 of 36

I've provided receipts for various reasons. One bride's employer paid for her cake as a wedding gift and wanted documentation prior to making payment. Some brides just feel better having official documentation in hand for whatever reason. I use an invoice form that I made to provide the estimate. Here's an example of the info I provide without uploading the form itself:

3-tier wedding cake, 100 servings; $x.xx/serving
6" - white almond/raspberry filling
10" - chocolate/strawberry filling
14" - white almond/black raspberry filling

Cake $xxx.xx
Fondant pearls $xx.xx
Gumpaste flowers $xx.xx
Round cake stand $50 refundable deposit
Delivery fee $xx.xx

6" cake complimentary of Metro Custom Cakes
The 100 servings includes the 10" and 14" cakes.

Subtotal $xxx.xx
Discount xx% - $xx.xx
Tax 7% - $xx.xx
Total $xxx.xx

I have no problem providing this information. However, I will not get into the specific breakdown of the cost of ingredients or labor. I agree with many of the others that the cost per serving or flat rate for decorations is all they need to know. Once a bride receives too much detailed information, it will open the door for her to question the cost and want to negotiate a cheaper price.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #34 of 36

Wow! I can't believe some of the comments here!

She doesn't DESERVE an itemized bill?!? Are you kidding me?!?! I would love to see one of you accept a mechanic's or repairman's bill with just a total.

I always itemize my bills:

Wedding Cake

7" cake (white cake/rasp. fill/white buttercream)/ ___ servings x $3.50 per serving =$____
9" cake (choc. cake/fudge fill/white buttercream)/___ servings x $3.50 per serving = $____
1 set pillars/plates = $25.00
Delivery = N/C
Stand Rental = $25.00
Gumpaste Roses - 15 @ $10 ea. = $150.00
Tax = $________
TOTAL= $_______

They are not asking you for your costs, they are asking you how you are breaking down your charges - and if you are in business, you should know that information.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocakes

I've provided receipts for various reasons. One bride's employer paid for her cake as a wedding gift and wanted documentation prior to making payment. Some brides just feel better having official documentation in hand for whatever reason. I use an invoice form that I made to provide the estimate. Here's an example of the info I provide without uploading the form itself:

3-tier wedding cake, 100 servings; $x.xx/serving
6" - white almond/raspberry filling
10" - chocolate/strawberry filling
14" - white almond/black raspberry filling

Cake $xxx.xx
Fondant pearls $xx.xx
Gumpaste flowers $xx.xx
Round cake stand $50 refundable deposit
Delivery fee $xx.xx

6" cake complimentary of Metro Custom Cakes
The 100 servings includes the 10" and 14" cakes.

Subtotal $xxx.xx
Discount xx% - $xx.xx
Tax 7% - $xx.xx
Total $xxx.xx

I have no problem providing this information. However, I will not get into the specific breakdown of the cost of ingredients or labor. I agree with many of the others that the cost per serving or flat rate for decorations is all they need to know. Once a bride receives too much detailed information, it will open the door for her to question the cost and want to negotiate a cheaper price.

Looks like I was typing mine while you were hitting "post". lol

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #36 of 36

you know something though, we ought to all take a page from mechanics...

you quote a cake "including your hourly wage" thinking it will take you 2 hours start to finish, and it ends up taking you 5 hours. When they show up to pay, you say "well I quoted you at $xx.xx, but it's now going to be $xxx.xx due to unforseen expenses, it turns out you needed extra cake boards, and icing, and dowels........."

I think hourly wage shouldn't be itemized especially since the amount is generally paid before the cake is done and delivered. It's a quote to estimate, but let's be real. If you spend 2 hours more on a cake, you won't be charging the client $24 more upon receipt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%