What Did I Get Myself Into...help

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 2:42am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry, this will be kind of long...
My goal in life is to become a culinary educator for troubled teens and adults.
I've been asked by 2 chefs to apply for a substitute teaching job at a vocational school (for teens and young adults) over the course of the last month and a half. One of their students even asked me to apply. I said "No, I'm no where near ready." They replied with "It's the bests way to learn, and we think you are."
Well, I finally got up enough nerve and called. I have a job interview on Wed. I don't have the years that they are looking for and some of my work has been under the table so I can't list it. I think I may be a joke to them. I was honest and told them what I've done and they still want to see me.
*However, I have since found out that the person conducting the interview works for an agency my DH does computer work for and he knows him. In fact, the owner of that agency and my DH have a business together also. I don't want a poor interview to reflect on my DH*

What is the best way to NOT look like a total idiot????!!!!

I plan on bringing in a portfolio of my awards and letters from the college and the state senator.
I don't have much of a resume. I worked as a waitress for 3 years (10 years ago) and also made their salads and stocked. I graduated from culinary school last month with honors and I'm an active member of the ACF (American Culinary Federation) I'm up for treasurer of our ACF chapter and this August I'll be taking a 5 days hands on class with Nicholas Lodge and Collete Peters. I've had a very very small business for almost 2 years and have a great business opportunity with a high-end flower shop that may go through. However, I realize this is not enough nor impressive enough.

Do I list these or will it make me like I'm grasping at straws.

Any advice (good or bad) you can all give will help me out.

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 9

They are looking for a substitute teacher, not the master of the arts. They will want someone with enthusiam, understanding of the material and someone who can make a presentation in front of students.

don't worry too much.

When I was in college we had a number of instructors with limited backgrounds, but were good instructors.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 9

also it's a vocational school....

as in they want WORKING pros! -- not academic professors.

so list your grad from culinary school (working pro training)

list the Lodge and Peters classes (working pro in-service education -- furthering the skills)

list the business you had and deal to come (working pro!)

and play up your dream -- your enthusiasm for helping the "other" children -- the ones who aren't academics, the ones for whom votec ed can be the thing that saves them.

dress professionally, stand erect, confident walk, firm handshake, sit forward on chair, direct eye contact, and direct short answers.

BREAK A LEG (hey - theatre guy here!)! I'm sure you'll get it!

mkolmar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the advice Doug and JoAnnB. I'm just freaked out right now. I want to run screaming for the hills I'm so nervous.
I heard they are wanting people qualified and fresh out of school so they can pay them a smaller amount than a chef who is more qualified and has been in the field for years. They are also looking at full-time teachers but I don't have
I'm not too scared about teaching, but I'm worried that the material they cover may be above my means. My DH says I'm over thinking everything again as usual.

I guess, if it's meant to be it will happen and if not it won't

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I heard they are wanting people qualified and fresh out of school so they can pay them a smaller amount than a chef who is more qualified and has been in the field for years.

and these days -- what school isn't???? those budgets are getting hit hard, just like your's and mine. My school was already $10,000 over budget on diesel fuel for the buses by the beginning of April! and we still had 6 weeks to go, plus 2 of summer credit recovery.

I seriously doubt it will require skills ABOVE your level -- after all, these are NEWBIES you'll be teaching for the most part -- the ones who want to get IN to the culinary school you just GRADUATED from. the graduate vs. the incoming freshman -- no contest - you win!

yes, you ARE over thinking it.

mkolmar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 9

Jon...is that you icon_confused.gif Sorry, Doug you sounded like my husband for a moment icon_lol.gif

I feel better now (for the most part) about the whole thing. I'm just going to go in and do my best, that's all I can do.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #7 of 9

You'll kick butt. You would be a shoe in if ya went to Macomb Hehehe LOLOL. Let me know where it is I'll put in my resume. They need more instructors? You'll be fine ya went to a good school they teach a well rounded subject matter. Still not happy about Nashville though icon_biggrin.gif LOLOLOL

Mike

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #8 of 9

Go for it, Melissa! Have confidence in your
abilities.

We'll all be waiting to hear how well you do, and you will! icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #9 of 9

It's in Perrysburg, OH Mike so I don't think you want to drive that far. (Oh and you can just eat your heart out about Nashville icon_twisted.gif Just kidding, wish you could go too)

Mewie-Thanks for your continuing support girl. I know you knew exactly what I've been going through the last few years since your daughter took the same path.

Still nervous, but it will get better I'm sure. I'll be working on getting my portfolio together on Sunday and Monday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%