Brown Buttercream

Decorating By momofjil Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm by vdrsolo

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 14

I have placed 3 1/2 jars of Wilton brown to create a dark brown icing. I now have a mess! How do you make dark brown icing? I need to finish the cake tonight. Help MUCH appreciated!!!

13 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:05am
post #2 of 14

I had some Americolor choc brown and I added some Wilton black to it to make it darker, although it did give it a slight grainy look, but that was probably just my icing! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 14

I don't suppose you could use choc bc?? Sometimes you can get by with it and sometimes they just don't want choc.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 14

Agree on the Americolor Chocolate Brown, the client didn't want chocolate but needed dark brown. Brown takes a lot of color, have you let it sit for a couple of hours to darken?

If your client doesn't care.....add the cocoa. you may need to add a tad bit more liquid to it if it seems a little dry.

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 14

They don't want chocolate. Why is it that my icing looks a little grainy. If I start to wash a spoon, all the brown will wash off and I am left with the white shortening showing. It doesn't seem to mixing together very well....

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 14

Red and green will make brown as well, and try to let it sit so the color will develop.
I use red and green to make my brown all the time, it seems to take less color and you can control the type of brown you make.
Also mix in a little glycerin, that should bring it all back together again, I don't know how it works but I've had to do it a few times with Royal Blue.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 14

I have noticed that with the wilton coloring also. When I have made a dark red color it looked grainy. I don't know what does it but I have had that problem with wilton. I do like americolor better but did not have red. I am sorry I don't have another suggestion just wanted you to know it probably isn't your icing it is the coloring.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofjil

They don't want chocolate. Why is it that my icing looks a little grainy. If I start to wash a spoon, all the brown will wash off and I am left with the white shortening showing. It doesn't seem to mixing together very well....

Most likely it's undissolved salt in your frosting. Try using a superfine salt (popcorn salt).

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Red and green will make brown as well, and try to let it sit so the color will develop.
I use red and green to make my brown all the time, it seems to take less color and you can control the type of brown you make.
Also mix in a little glycerin, that should bring it all back together again, I don't know how it works but I've had to do it a few times with Royal Blue.

I never knew why some people use glycerin in their icing. So it to keep the icing from getting that seperated look? Thank you so much for this info!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 14

Add a little bit of black to the brown frosting until you get the shade of brown that you need. I had the same problem about a month ago when I had to make a dark brown (sable) colored buttercream.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 14

Glycerin works wonders in thinning or *undrying* some paste colors.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 14

The color will deepen upon setting. My kids accussed me of making Spiderman 'pink' and were really freaking out until the cake set for a few hours, then the color was red.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

The color will deepen upon setting. My kids accussed me of making Spiderman 'pink' and were really freaking out until the cake set for a few hours, then the color was red.

My husband did the same thing, I was making red bc and he said " that looks pink?" I told him to just wait and see, and sure enough a few hours later it was bright red!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 14

I have noticed the speckling and separation with the Wilton Brown myself, it wasn't my recipe (high ratio shortening, and salt is dissolved), it's the Wilton Color. The exact same batch of buttercream was fine with the Americolor Brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%