Wedding Cake..different Flavors

Decorating By malaika Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 10:03pm by bcsealine

malaika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malaika Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 13

I have a client who wants a 3 tiered wedding cake..a chocolate with chocolate buttercream, vanilla with vanilla buttercream, and carrot with cream cheese. She doesn't want it covered in fondant..at this point. I feel a little stupid asking this question but how would you do that? You can't have three different frostings on one cake that isn't covered in fondant right? And even if you do cover it..does white fondant cover chocolate buttercream ?

Thank you for the help!

12 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 13

You could have them all together if they are covered in fondant (and yes, white fondant would cover it). Or if the tiers are not really tiers but all on separate stands. But I would not stack them together if they are going to be left covered in only the BC - I think it would look too scattered and uncoordinated.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 13

totally agree with the above

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 13

If the bride is set on the three different ones I would suggest you color the two white ones, say a blue or whatever color her wedding is and put the chocolate in middle and somehow tie all of them in with colors. It could be done and it might surprise you how well they look. Just a thought.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 13

You could also recommend doing the fillings as the requested icings, and then icing it all in whichever one you or they choose.

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 13

Could you use the buttercreams (chocolate, vanilla, cream cheese) as the filling between the layers and use a white buttercream as the unifying outside icing?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 13

Good suggestions with the filling idea - that is why I love CC, I never would have thought of such an appropriate and obvious option. icon_smile.gif

malaika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malaika Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all so much for the g reat ideas! I love the ideas of the fillings..and also of the colored white layers and chocolate middle layers. I'll throw both of those ideas out to her and see what she says.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 13

Yeah.. the flavored butter creams and cream cheese frosting should go in the layers and the whole thing gets covered with buttercream. That's how I do it anyway. I highly doubt she wanted three different finishes on her cakes. I'm sure she was thinking that the flavors woudl go in the layers. icon_smile.gif

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

If the bride is set on the three different ones I would suggest you color the two white ones, say a blue or whatever color her wedding is and put the chocolate in middle and somehow tie all of them in with colors. It could be done and it might surprise you how well they look. Just a thought.

If she does want the different flavours I think this is awesome idea! I too think with the chocolate as the middle layer with the other tiers in a different colours would be really pretty!

You are going to have to let us know what she is going to do.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 13

These great ideas should solve the problem, but if she still insists on getting them like that, can't you make cream cheese icing and butter cream icing the same color (using very less ivory) and make the chocolate butter cream as white chocolate buttercream and color that too and use it?

Please don't laugh at my suggestion, I am very new to this, and this came to my mind.

Good luck,

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729

You could also recommend doing the fillings as the requested icings, and then icing it all in whichever one you or they choose.

This is what I do all the time. THe fillings are the flavors and the entire cake is iced in buttercream.

If she really wants the tiers iced in different colors/icings, this is not unusual. Look at all of the rainbow cakes (each tier a different color of the rainbow); topsy turvy cakes that are all different colors.

bcsealine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcsealine Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 13

I think if she wants the outside icing to be the different flavors it would look cool to do a gradiated color change (ie, white on top, ivory/beige/tan in the middle, and chocolate on the bottom).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%