Pictures On Cookies- Help/suggestions

Baking By sunnigirl Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm by millicente

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 3

I been wanting to buy a color printer and print pictures for cookies for months now.
I am only a part time baker (since I have a full time job already) and I have finally saved what I hope will be enough money take this on.
I even have a hospital with a new marketing director who is interested in purchasing cookies with their logo.
I hate to jump in without knowing anything at all about this.
Does anyone have some wisdom they can share? What type of printer,
paper, anything at all that would helpful. I'm not sure if we can use company or product names on this site or not but you can always PM me if you would like.
I will truly appreciate any help.
I can research the information all day but when it comes to making a purchase, I'd like to know what other people use and like. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 3

Most people use a edible image for this. You print them on your special printer, cut them out and place it on the cookie. The image 'paper' is usually called icing sheets or rice paper. Rice paper has more texture that remains on the cookie, but it is a reliable medium.

As for printers. There are a couple and they are not expensive. It needs to be one for which they make food color cartridges. Kopykake's website will tell you which ones they make refills for, but I think Cannon and Epson are two most often mentioned. Both work, both occasionally have issues.

There is also an expensive machine that prints directly on the cookie. I can't recall who makes it but it is very expensive.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 3

I'll share what I did. I just like you a part-timer in hopes of one day making it big. I went to the store Tuesday Morning and founf the CAnnon I-450 brand new in the box for 49.99. The good thing about it is that it only uses 2 tank system so the ink is about 28.00 for both. but the downside side is that maybe having more tanks may makea brighter pic. but I'm not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%