Does Mmf Harden?

Decorating By lovetofrost Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm by CeeTee

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am making an engagement cake this weekend and will be putting a daisy spray on the cake. I was wanting to try making mmf but need it to harden to put the spray on the cake. I have never had or tasted mmf. Is it a good idea to do for a daisy spray and does it harden at all? Also is it easy to color? Thanks.

6 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 7

It does harden over time, it does take a few days. You have to make mmf one day and let it sit for a day before using. I work with it alot, but I have never done a spray with it so I am not sure if it can be done on such short notice. I think you can add gum-tex to the pieces as you do them to help dry faster. Coloring is pretty easy, just a lot of kneading. I do little pieces at a time.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 7

My experience has been that it does not ever fully dry. It will harden over several days. The thinner you roll out the fondant the better. For my liking I would not use it to make roses. It would take to long to dry. You can also mix with gumpaste and that will help alot.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 7

It doesn't really firm up too well. I use MMF on all my cakes but when I need something to really firm up I buy wilton fondant or gumpaste just for that................knowing that won't be eaten. HTH.

Cyndi

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

I use gumpaste with it in a 50/50 mix. It will harden but not like fondant. Colors pretty well. The blue graduation cap in my photos is mmf/gp with wilton royal blue for color. It came out pretty well (I think).

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

My experience has been that it does not ever fully dry. It will harden over several days. The thinner you roll out the fondant the better. For my liking I would not use it to make roses. It would take to long to dry. You can also mix with gumpaste and that will help alot.

I second that. MMF never dries. At least for me. I'm near the ocean so the air is always humid to begin with. But a rainstorm comes through, and the pieces just melt, even if they were hard to begin with.

I have much more success with commercial fondant and tylose (you could use wilton, no one will eat the flowers). GP doesn't even work for me. :'(

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

If no one is eating the flowers, I'd suggest using Wilton's fondant and/or gumpaste. It dries fast and holds its shape.

I have never had any luck using MMF for anything more than cake covering or cut out designs. It's way too soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%