Cake Due Sat 6/7 - No Check Now What??

Business By sassycleo Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm by southerncake

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
post #91 of 100

I love Kelley's reminder of a favorite proverb...so true!

Good on you, Sassy....man, all these decisions we have to make JUST TO MAKE CAKE!!! lol

Ok, breathe easy...it's weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #92 of 100

Don't worry about this wench's email. I know this kind of thing doesn't sit well and can get people all riled up even if you know it's not your fault, but this really wasn't your fault!

And for her to try to give you tips on communicating professionally is a hoot! She probably works out of the trunk of her car and got her planning experience while booking her kids' birthday parties at Chuck E Cheese's. icon_lol.gif

And you're right about the scoldings that you get on here...Nobody scolds you to be mean, I think that people scold because we're so frustrated to see someone let themselves put their guilt ahead of their business sense. Remember that if this woman is desperate for something to serve to her guests, she can always go get a delicious icon_twisted.gif Sam's Club cake!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #93 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

I had someone email me 6:15 Tueday NIGHT looking for pricing/size info. and she needed a football graduation cake for her son. Thank you - and then - PS I need it for Saturday morning.

SERIOUSLY!!! PS????? No mention of how she heard from me (I only work word of mouth), NOTHING! No asking if I had time, sorry short notice, nothing!

So I am happy and ready to send off - Thanks but not thanks, already booked, etc... and DH says well maybe she doesn't need anything big, yada yada...

So he gets me feeling guilty, I spend time finding 2 easy designs I could do for her without making myself crazy with the other cakes that are booked, send her a super nice email early Wednesday morning cause I was out Tuesday night (even though the whole time I have BAD vibes from her email). I get an email back from her at 11:00 Wednesday morning - thanks but no thanks, I already booked another cake, will keep you in mind. AAARRRRGGH!!! I was SO MAD I did not go with my gut! Plus I asked her how she heard of me and said it was a friend of a friend of someone I did a cake for and even got the kid's name wrong.

I WILL remember her next time and won't be making a cake for her

???

You turned down the job. And you're angry because when you changed your mind she'd already found someone else?

ISTM that when you told her no, she believed you and responded appropriately.

Whether she was wrong to call you at all so close the the event--no harm, no foul. Not eveyone knows that cakes need to be ordered weeks in advance, and then again not everyone's cakes need so much notice for a sale.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #94 of 100

for a planner who was so busy she didn't follow up on the cake payment she sure found time to follow up on an issue that is already a closed book

she is way unprofessional.

I feel bad for the bride, who knows what else fell through the cracks.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:11am
post #95 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

I had someone email me 6:15 Tueday NIGHT looking for pricing/size info. and she needed a football graduation cake for her son. Thank you - and then - PS I need it for Saturday morning.

SERIOUSLY!!! PS????? No mention of how she heard from me (I only work word of mouth), NOTHING! No asking if I had time, sorry short notice, nothing!

So I am happy and ready to send off - Thanks but not thanks, already booked, etc... and DH says well maybe she doesn't need anything big, yada yada...

So he gets me feeling guilty, I spend time finding 2 easy designs I could do for her without making myself crazy with the other cakes that are booked, send her a super nice email early Wednesday morning cause I was out Tuesday night (even though the whole time I have BAD vibes from her email). I get an email back from her at 11:00 Wednesday morning - thanks but no thanks, I already booked another cake, will keep you in mind. AAARRRRGGH!!! I was SO MAD I did not go with my gut! Plus I asked her how she heard of me and said it was a friend of a friend of someone I did a cake for and even got the kid's name wrong.

I WILL remember her next time and won't be making a cake for her

???

You turned down the job. And you're angry because when you changed your mind she'd already found someone else?

ISTM that when you told her no, she believed you and responded appropriately.

Whether she was wrong to call you at all so close the the event--no harm, no foul. Not eveyone knows that cakes need to be ordered weeks in advance, and then again not everyone's cakes need so much notice for a sale.

She hadn't turned the job down yet...she said she was ready to send off the reply of "thanks but no thanks" and then her husband guilted her. lol When she went to say she'd do it, that's the response she got. (booked someone else)

Did I read that right, sweetresults?

What still amazes me about the original story is that even in her last email to the OP, she STILL never mentions what to do with the check when/if it does get to her. Or that she stopped payment. NOTHING. Liar, liar pants on fire! icon_lol.gif

I would be soooooo tempted to reply as well but it's not worth it. Silence is sometimes the best response. And just think how hard it would've been to get your money after the fact...

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:23am
post #96 of 100

Ah, thanks, ironbaker.

That's more a grey area-- I still think the customer was okay in her actions (she didn't have a cake until someone said yes), but yeah, it's a lot more questionable.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #97 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

Ok so I know that she already has her baker lined up.

I just received this email from her:

Alicia,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to agree to make the cake I needed for this weekend. I assumed that since you did not call or email me on Wednesday that you had received my check. I too understand policies and vendor relationship and how KEY they can be in our industry. I would of appreciated a communication giving me time to try and make other arrangements before you cancelled my order.

Are you kidding me????? Do I even respond to this??????

Ok. Think about how stressed we all get doing this work. It gets nuclear huh. Add on all the other vendors & stuff that a planner handles and multiply it by the bride, her mom, etc.

This lady and righfully so gets cancelled last minute. She mighta typo'd it but she sure wrote you a cohesive and uber professional email. She starts out thanking you.

I mean I would certainly have called her Wednesday when the check didn't arrive. Her assumption was valid though you both goofed up not calling to confirm. Hey, I woulda told her to bring me some nice green cash asap in the first place. Screw waiting on a check.

You may never again do business with this lady but this was a pressure cooker. She is holding out the olive branch. Take it.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #98 of 100

Ok, it has been about a week now that she said she sent the check, has one come through yet.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #99 of 100

UPDATE:

The wedding was originally last weekend 6/7. To recap she was "sending" the check out the previous week.

It's now a week after and still no check arrived - hmmmmmm. Seems to me no check was EVER put in the mail. I am sure glad I stood my ground on this one!!!!!!!!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #100 of 100

Thanks so much for the update!! Funny how that check "got lost in the mail!!!!!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%