Auryn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #31 of 100

any update on the situation??

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #32 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

But the bank will still pull the money out of your account if you cash it and the check bounces later. They'll probably find a way to charge you fees on it, too!

If you go to the bank where the account is set up, I don't think they can.
By going to the original check writers bank, there is no way the bank can ever withdraw or charge you any $$.

I believe this is the case though I could be mistaken. Something to ask my sister whose in the banking industry.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #33 of 100

Alicia,
Any news?
Hope it works out well.
I once loaned an ex-boyfriend some money and when he wrote me a check to pay for it I went straight to his bank to cash it. They didn't want to at first but when I explained the situation they did it.
Here's hoping it's on a bank that is somewhat local.
terri

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #34 of 100

no money no cake. I had someone pay by check that i had a bad feeling about. While at the bank before i cashed it, I asked if there were sufficent funds in their account to cover it. The bank said no. I was on the phone tellin gthem there was no money to cover their cake. Their response they were going to out funds in next week. No money no cake. I truely hope this works out for you.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

But the bank will still pull the money out of your account if you cash it and the check bounces later. They'll probably find a way to charge you fees on it, too!

If you go to the bank where the account is set up, I don't think they can.
By going to the original check writers bank, there is no way the bank can ever withdraw or charge you any $$.

I believe this is the case though I could be mistaken. Something to ask my sister whose in the banking industry.

Not all banks will cash your cheque if you do not have an account with them. They cover their own a**. Lots of banks now charge a teller fee too - even when you have an account with them. They expect you to do everything by ATM now.

CASH only this late in the game. And make sure you have an NSF clause in your contract.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #36 of 100

Well not much to tell as far as an update is concerned. I have not started the cakes. I talked with my planner last night who is the person that referred my services to this other planner. She was a bit surprised over the whole thing. She was supposed to be meeting with this woman on Friday. So she said she would call her today to confirm that appointment and casually bring up the situation to see what was said about it.

The planner is the one whom I've had contact with, she is the one actually the one sending the check. I was given some what I feel has been some good advice in the fact that not to stress about a bad rep from this person because they aren't a local planner and most likely I wouldn't be dealing with them again.

At this point I am ready to wash my hands of the whole deal. I'm not sure what I am going to do or exactly how to handle it if I go home check the mail and low and behold there is a check. I have to be honest I am very tempted to pretend as if it never came toss it and tell her the deal is off. Am I in the wrong for having this line of thought and actually following through with it?

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #37 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

Do I wait until tomorrow (which will have been a week, mail doesn't take a week to travel in state within a distance of 2 hrs) see if the check arrives and if it doesn't email her stating that I still haven't received it and will need it when I meet with her Friday or no cake?

Sure it does. USPS does lose mail and they have been getting really bad about it. I can't even get mail in the same city anymore in that short of a period. BTW, my check to the gas company is still on it's way (it's been 2 months).

I would call her up and tell her to do a stop payment on the check and send a new one via certified same day mail. Then cash the check. Then do the cake. Make sure you have the $$ in your bank account with no more issues before doing anything.

I second that!!!! I received a post card reminder from our church about nursery duty a week after I was supposed to be in the nursery ... it was postmarked a full 30 days before it was received and the church is in the same town, just 2 blocks from my house (post office is 4 blocks in the opposite direction)!!! My husband and I also got reamed over the coals for not going to two separate cousins graduation partys that were held a few weeks ago. We never got an invitation to either party and still haven't received it, though our address was confirmed by both families through my MIL ... They'll probably be received in another 2 weeks. No one believes you, though, when you say "I didn't come and give you a gift because I never got the invitation that you went out of your way to ensure it went to the right address."

I'd tell them to stop payment on the check and come give me cash or a cashiers check ... no personal checks. If it's not there by a certain time tomorrow morning, and they still want you to make the cake, I'd add a $20/hour late fee. If they want you to sit around and wait for them to get there and then finally start baking your butt off through the night, I'd make them pay for it! They wouldn't put up with it if you brought the cake late (hours or days), why should you put up with not getting paid on time?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #38 of 100

I would call her and tell her that she needs to give you CASH by the end of the day TODAY and that she will also be given a LATE FEE for the inconvenience to you for the delay!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #39 of 100

If you go to the bank it was drawn on they will let you cash the check provided that there are sufficient funds in the account. I do this all the time. I have an account with Bank of America and I cash checks at Citizen's Bank all the time.. all you need is an ID If it's over a certain amount they require 2 forms of ID and a signature check for the person who wrote the check.

icon_smile.gif

You couldn't go into Bank of America and cash a check from Citizen's Bank if you didn't have an account with BoA.. that's a whole other can of worms.

You are not out of line to have your thoughts. They broke the deal by not sending the money on time. You have been WAY more than polite and understanding than I would ever have been.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #40 of 100

This is why you ALWAYS have a deadline for payment! Why do you keep giving this planner chances? Why are you letting her call the shots? Why is she running YOUR schedule? I'm so confused... icon_confused.gif

FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #41 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

This is why you ALWAYS have a deadline for payment! Why do you keep giving this planner chances? Why are you letting her call the shots? Why is she running YOUR schedule? I'm so confused... icon_confused.gif

And a COMPLETE and UTTER ditto to this.. you have let her stomp all over you.. I'd inform her that she has to stop.

suchie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchie6 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #42 of 100

Can I ask why you don't just pick up the phone?

If you have an actual converation with this person you will be able to get all your qustions answered and get a better feeling about their intentions. If they are not willing to make arrangements to get you the money by a specific deadline that you set - tell her you will not be their cake decorator. After a person to person conversation you will be able to put your mind at ease because you will know weather to bake or not to bake. All this emailing and waiting and talking to another decorator who is going to bring up the situation and see what happens ..... is just prolonging the situation and not working towards resolution.

I would guess that if your doing this for a living - you have to have a specific set of guidlines regarding payment and timelines that you follow strickly so that you don't make yourself crazy.

sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #43 of 100

Well in essence I'm not letting her walk all over me and call the shots on this and you bring up the deadline.

I will restate - I normally 1. Meet the bride and/or planner months in advance. 2. Deal with a 50% non refundable deposit 3. Have a contract 4. Deadline is 4weeks before the event.

This was only booked last Thursday - so the whole thing has been basically last minute.

I took the booking because I had this Sat. available. The cake itself wasn't supposed to be much work they are providing most of the decoration for it it was a simple cake and icing. no filling.

That is why I agreed to do it.

Bellesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellesweets Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #44 of 100

you are the provider of the delicacy which is the cake and the fact is that people sometimes think and dont realize that they are not your top priority. Yes you do want the business and more than anything you someone to be happy from something you have created just for them but you have to realize you cannot and shouldnt complete anything until you either have 50% of the payment of the cake or the whole entire thing. Most persons do not want to be taken to court and i am not suggesting that you do that what i am suggesting and this is my final thought.....YOU CANNOT PAY BILLS ON BROKE" GET YOUR MONEY OR THEY GET NO CAKE THAT IS THAT IF THEY SIGNED A CONTRACT THEN IT IS LEGALLY BINDING IF NOT EITHER SUE OR SUCK IT UP AS A LOSS AND I MEAN NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING FOR THAT PARTICULAR PERSON BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WHATEVER YOU NEED ON PAPER WORD OF MOUTH DOES NOTHING FOR YOU. BE BLESSED AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #45 of 100

This may have already been stated, but...

giving the limited notice and even limited more by lack of payment, I would charge an expediting/rush fee or rate.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #46 of 100

If I were you, even if you get the check
I wouldn't do the cake.

Too much hassle and its stressing you out.
You gave her a deadline, she didn't meet it

too bad so sad sucks to be them.

Its their emergency not yours.
If it was so important they would have brought you cash, not put their hopes in the post office getting you the check on time.

I don't see why you are the one who has to spend time, money and fuel to go to the bank the cash was drawn on (if you even get the check).
yes I know you are the business owner.
But remember the mantra, a lack of planning on their part does not constitute and emergency on your part.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #47 of 100

NO MONEY.... NO CAKE.....NO DISCUSSION

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #48 of 100

"a lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine."

This phrase has been hanging in my office for years.

Also, have:

"Good sense is the Master of Human Life."

Not sure who to credit for them, but they are 2 of my mottos.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #49 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

"a lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine."

This phrase has been hanging in my office for years.

Also, have:

"Good sense is the Master of Human Life."

Not sure who to credit for them, but they are 2 of my mottos.

The first quote can be found in a cake shop in my town. Everytime i see it, i laugh because it 's so true.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

Well in essence I'm not letting her walk all over me and call the shots on this and you bring up the deadline.

I will restate - I normally 1. Meet the bride and/or planner months in advance. 2. Deal with a 50% non refundable deposit 3. Have a contract 4. Deadline is 4weeks before the event.

This was only booked last Thursday - so the whole thing has been basically last minute.

I took the booking because I had this Sat. available. The cake itself wasn't supposed to be much work they are providing most of the decoration for it it was a simple cake and icing. no filling.

That is why I agreed to do it.

I don't know why you moved away from your "normal" actions...1. meet the bride and/or planner ASAP. 2. Get full payment when order is made. 3. Have a contract. 4. Deadline is #2...when order is placed.

And yes, you are letting her walk all over you, if you weren't then you wouldn't be a few days out with no $$$, not knowing wether or not to start baking, and not knowing if this order even exists! Sorry to be harsh but IMO there is no order, no customer, no nothing. And if you would have told her how you run things up front, rush or not, this situation that you say exists wouldn't.

FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #51 of 100

I agree with SweetConfectionsChef.. for last minute orders I require full payment in cash upon booking. No checks what-so-ever past 3 weeks before the event.

This planner/bride doesn't feel like the HAVE to pay you because you have been so accomodating. I know that you usually aren't which is good, but this time you are being way too nice. icon_smile.gif

sassycleo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #52 of 100

Well there was no check today. I have called my planner since she was the one who referred me to advise her of the situation thus far and she completely understands. I didn't want any adverse flack from either side to hit her because she was the person referring.

I'm getting ready to write her an email vs calling. I figured this was the best route so I have written documentation that she was advised there would be no cake. Now how exactly to word you tried to get a cake for free, well it isn't happening....lol

sassycleo Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #53 of 100

Ok how does this sound for a nice kiss off letter?

Good Evening XXX,

I originally contacted you Tuesday evening to confirm the wedding cake for this coming Saturday June 7, 2008. It was at that time I also brought to your attention that I had not yet received payment for the wedding cake you had requested.

When we spoke you had explained your situation of needing a cake artist at the last minute, I in good faith bent my normal procedures which consist of meeting with both you and the bride, obtaining a signed contract, and forwent my normal 50% non refundable deposit at the time of booking as well as payment being due 4 weeks prior to the event. As we are both wedding professionals I am sure you understand that what was being asked was out of the "norm".

It is now Thursday evening and I have not received any form of payment nor have you contacted me in regards to confirming payment being received after I had advised you previously in regards to this matter.

This e-mail is to serve as notice that I will not be able to stretch good faith any further, therefore I will not be providing the wedding cake you had requested for this coming Saturday.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #54 of 100

I would add at the beginning: "To confirm our conversation of today ....." so you also have it documented that you spoke with her voice-to-voice AND sent this email, so she was contacted in two different ways.

Makes it hard to "can't remember" a phone conversation AND "didn't get the email" deal.

sassycleo Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #55 of 100

Yeah I guess calling her and leaving a message would be the right thing to do...lol

Will do and will add that into the letter, thanks Debi - I tried to convey in the letter that what was taking place was the cause for this, did I word everything ok?

FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #56 of 100

Honestly I would call and speak to her and then send an e-mail confirmation that you spoke. This is something that should be done person to person rather than via e-mail.

FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #57 of 100

I think I would simplify your e-mail.

Dear XXXX,

This e-mail is to inform you that, due to non-payment, I am no longer available to provide the wedding cake you had ordered. As per our agreement, payment was due by June X, 2008 and I have yet to recieve any monies. I cannot in good faith continue with our contracted agreement.

I wish you much luck in finding a decorator who can provide you a cake for your wedding.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

sassycleo Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #58 of 100

I guess I need to grow some what of a back bone huh! I feel kind of bad that this poor bride isn't going to have a cake - but..... before anyone bashes me for that statement - I do understand that it is not my fault that it is her planners fault for not having a cake. (Ok take it easy on me I'm knew to this type of situation!)

I can say that I've read this happening before on CC and usually after everyone tells the person not to do the cake the end up doing it anyway. Maybe out of some form of subconscious guilt, I don't know. I did not give in on this, it was tough but I didn't. I called to speak with the planner and the phone rang and rang it rolled several times as well as if it was put on ignore (cell phone) I wait until finally a voice mail finally answered.

I left a detailed message as to the reason for my call the events that took place and said I would be following up with an email as well so now off I send the email. At this point I wash my hands of the whole mess and not going to feel guilty that this was poor planning on their part.

FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #59 of 100

Good for you!! icon_smile.gif You will feel better for not doing this. You will probably get a frantic call begging you to reconsider, but I wouldn't. I would point them to the local Wal*Mart for sheet cakes. Someone needs to make a point.. and good for you for being the one to say that you won't stand to be taken advantage of. icon_biggrin.gif

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #60 of 100

I understand feeling bad for the bride. I would too. But I have a little saying that sums the whole thing up:

"Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part"

I love that saying.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%