Refrigerated Cookie Dough

Decorating By stsapph Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:09am by leily

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

Just wanted to know how long cookie dough can stay if it is kept refrigerated, not frozen. I have been trying to stream line and simplify some things for when I am not around and thought it would be easier to have buckets of cookie dough ready to just scoop instead of the roll, freeze and cut method I have been doing. Any ideas, or other suggestions would be great! TIA!!

Amber

6 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 7

Is your cookie dough homeade? That would make a big difference.

Have you ever tried scooping the cookie dough, laying it on wax paper and then freezing? That way you can pull out as many or few as you need.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 7

Refrigerated, home made doughs are probably only good in the fridge for a week, maybe two. Some doughs don't hold well at all. Oatmeal cookies will dry out-the oats suck up every bit of moisture.

Sugar cookies do ok. Preparing and freezing will give the best results.

stsapph Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the suggestions!
To clarify, they are home made doughs. The problem is that there is a lack of space as well, so I am trying to do something compact as well as "idiot proof". The good news is we do go through a lot of cookies and I am doing new batches at least once a week, so hopefully it will be ok. I have been rolling and freezing logs, but because of outstanding circumstances, I am usually not the person baking nor in the kitchen when they are being baked, and the people baking them get confused about how much to cut and how long to bake them. I am try to simplify the process so that anyone can bake the cookies and I don't know to worry about consistency.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 7

My cookies are made, scooped and placed on a cookie sheet and thrown in the freezer for about an hour. I then pull them out and throw them in a large ziplock bag and back into the freezer.

When it's time to bake, I pull out what I need, and throw them straight into the oven (well, on a sheet pan, of course). I like baking them from the frozen state, as they do not spread as much and I get a much thicker, chewy cookie.

stsapph Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! Sounds like a great plan!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

My cookies are made, scooped and placed on a cookie sheet and thrown in the freezer for about an hour. I then pull them out and throw them in a large ziplock bag and back into the freezer.

When it's time to bake, I pull out what I need, and throw them straight into the oven (well, on a sheet pan, of course). I like baking them from the frozen state, as they do not spread as much and I get a much thicker, chewy cookie.

I do the exact same. I have a few different flavors in my freezer right now. This helps me on time b/c some orders are only 1 doz. so I just pull out 13-14 (have to make 1-2 for me!) and then box up. Takes me about 15-20 mins (including cooling time) to make an order if I have them in the freezer ready to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%