What Do You Think This Is?

Decorating By heatherlikesfood Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm by soobsessedwithcake

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #1 of 14

I can't tell from the picture if the flower images on the sides of the cake are royal icing embroidery or if they are molded and then put on the cake, or what?? I have a bride that loves this, I just need to figure out how- any ideas?
LL

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #2 of 14

It looks to me like brush embroidery. Looks a bit time consuming, but not difficult.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:58am
post #3 of 14

it looks like brush embroidery, but Im sure moulds and cutters will give a very similar effect

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:04am
post #4 of 14

ditto, brushed embroidery....

i learned this technique from earlene moore.....
try her website, not difficult to do.....i haven't seen it anywhere but her house, so not sure if it is an 'old' technique or just one not used often....there has to be a reason....it's lovely
sally

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:05am
post #5 of 14

I think it's done with cutters as it's so raised off the side of the cake

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 14

brush embroidery looks like its raised. Here is an example I did recently

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 14

That reminds me of a jennifer dontz cake, if you know who's it is you can ask them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 14

I think it looks like it's done with patchwork cutters.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 14

I think it's done with a mold/cutters. I don't think it's brushed embroidery because the stuff on the cake is evenly raised with a consistent thickness. Just like fondant would be if you would cut it out and mold it. Also, their are no tails in the middle of the leaves like BE would have.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 14

Looks like brushed embroidery to me too, with the vines piped for a 3-D effect. Use an embosser for the design (probably be the easiest), or use a template or stencil to pinprick the design onto the fondant - pinpricking the design can be a bit tedious so I'd go for the embosser.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 14

To me it looks like it was done with a stencil. Here is a website that has the stencils and shows how to do it. http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=CTGY&category_code=CAKES

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:

Those Patchwork Cutters are so cool! icon_eek.gif I wish I had some myself! They make the prettiest designs on cakes.

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 14

I am quite new to this, but it looks some what like brushed embroidery to me too. However, the leaves look so thick in some areas it doesn't look exactly like that either. It does look like a stencil design too maybe that is the way to go? It doesn't look like cutters were used in my opinion, but I am sure they could be used to get a similar effect. Sorry that wasn't very helpful was it? Anyway the cake is beautiful. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%