No My Grad Cake Is The Ugliest One Ever Lol

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 4:42am by wgoat5

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #31 of 49

i feel that my writing isn't that great(it can get smaller as i write and i'm a lefty so i tend to slant) but your cake was great!! i do hate "messing up" a beautiful cake by writing on it-whether or not it looks good, it just seems to ruin it for me. I do like writing on fondant banners though, that makes it better for me-you could try that maybe

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #32 of 49

Thats the thing I USUALLY do banners but she didn't want one.. heck she wouldn't even listen to that suggestion...

icon_sad.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #33 of 49

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...what is the "prick method"????? TIA

Chef_Lori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Lori Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #34 of 49

I think your writing is fine! icon_smile.gif

I have to admit, writing on cakes strikes fear in my heart. The only thing that helps is practice, practice, practice... mine has improved a ton just in the past two years because of repetition. I have figured out a couple of things that make writing on cakes easier, though.

1. I almost always inscribe in melted chocolate unless the customer specifically asks for something else. It's so fluid, once you get it down you won't ever want to write with buttercream again!

2. Always use a #2 tip, maybe a #3 on a big sheet cake. Larger or smaller causes headaches.

3. If you *have* to inscribe in buttercream, thin it with corn syrup first to get to consistency more fluid.

4. Inscribe on a chilled cake... makes scraping/reworking writing easier. Especially when writing with melted chocolate, it's easy to lift off with a spatula if you screw up.

Write on! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #35 of 49

Well to be honest I would of scraped off the red icing BUT.. it had already bled into the white.. I like the tip about the cold cake AND the chocolate..

Also that is what I had forgotten.. The corn syrup for the writing bc icon_sad.gif UGHHHH

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #36 of 49

Christi this is not an ugly cake!!! Your writing looks great. I wish I could write half that well on cakes. If you want to see the truly ugliest grad cake look at the black and yellow one in my pics! I got $25 for it was going to charge more but it didn't look good, it was 1/2 sheet. Like everyone else said we are our own worst critic! Your cakes are beautiful. Don't under estimate yourself!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #37 of 49

Ugliest cake?? WhatEVER!! I could slap you!

I mean that in a good way of course, the cake looks beautiful! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...what is the "prick method"????? TIA

you can either print out on your pc what you want written in the font of your choice or write it on a piece of paper (which is what I do a lot......it doesn't look soooo perfect that they think you DIDN't write it hehehe) and then you take the sheet of paper and put it on top of a piece of styrofoam and take a toothpick or a needle and poke holes following the letters, then you take the paper and lay it on your cake gently AFTER YOUR ICING IS CRUSTED VERY WELL and rub it gently ( I roll over it with a paint roller) and then peel the paper off and you're left with a little dotted outline of all the letters to follow. Kinda like connect the dots! As long as you lay your paper straight (lol I've messed that up plenty too....luckily a quick roll of the paint roller gets rid of all the little holes) then your writing will be perfectly straight. HTH

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #39 of 49

Ohhhhhh....very creative and convenient. Thanks KHalstead!!!!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

We are gonna have to have a talk. Before you go discounting a cake, please send me a picture of it. icon_smile.gif

Gotta agree with my fellow Tarheel on this one

cakeguru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguru Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #41 of 49

ya, you charged too little. It looks great

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #42 of 49

the writing looks fine! it looks a little slanted but it looks like it was done on purpose and loogs great. my writing always comes out slanted too i'm a south paw as well

sweetsurprises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsurprises Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #43 of 49

Your cake looks good! I hate writing on cakes. I usually cut out fondant letters or sketch with a toothpick before I write on a cake because I usually have to redo it 2 or 3 times if I don't.

P.S. My name is Christi too. Spelt the same way icon_smile.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #44 of 49

I hate writing too. My problem is spacing....sometimes it's great and well there are other times. Pinprick will have to be tried!

Paula

BTW...your cake is fineicon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #45 of 49

Chrisit there is nothing wrong with that cake. Your writing is fine. You have been eating to much icing again have'nt you.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #46 of 49

First your cake and writing are gorgeous!!! Stop putting yourself down!

Secondly, I teach a 26 week certificate course in cake decorating and of all the things I do, I hate writing on cakes....but I feel a lot more confident about it now that I've done a few things.....

1. I have cheated and printed out what I wanted to write and used the gel on the back method - works great.

2. I'm basically lazy and didn't want to have to do that all the time when I had writing on a cake....sooooo.....

3. I add a little corn syrup to the icing I'm using to write with - works great....

4. Always use at the very least....number 3 tip - I've found the bigger the tip (up to a number 7 or so) the better the writing looks.

5. Do not write slow.....I've found I just mess up when I take too long - my hand shakes, I'm leaning over, etc.....everything will mess it up!!!

6. For a while, when I had a free evening, I would take a cookie sheet and sit in front of the tv and practice, practice, practice!!!! This really seemed to help me. I was telling my students to do that with everything they were doing (roses, leaves, stems, borders, writing, etc.) and finally decided to take my own advice!!

7. Lastly, before you even do the writing, get everything ready and then give yourself a pep-talk......just take a deep breath and say, "no biggie, I can do this!!! this is not a major problem!!!!" (I think I talk to myself a lot!!!!)

Kris

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #47 of 49

I DETEST writing on cakes, so I ordered some tappits. I will take all the help I can get! icon_lol.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #48 of 49

I don't know if this has been mentioned (yes, I'm lazy and don't want to do back and read everything right now) but I realized that as a left-hander I ALWAYS write with the paper slanted to the right - sometimes completely horizontal to me. So, I realized that I have to position myself in the same way with the cake.

It SO helped.

Now if only I can do something about my naturally, written chicken-scratch handwriting icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #49 of 49

Thank you all icon_smile.gif

The tips and pep talks have helped icon_smile.gif

Since CC was down.. off and on and off and on LOL ALL day today I practiced... and I will keep practicing... I can't keep losing money icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%