My Swiss Meringue Buttercream Looks Disgusting!

Baking By teecakess Updated 30 May 2008 , 8:39pm by shisharka

teecakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teecakess Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

okay so ive been making swiss meringue buttercream for a while now and ive been having the same problems over and over again..but i always ignored them. today..i don't think i can. so ive found a solution to the soupy bc. but now my problem is after refridgeration. it seperates and becomes all wet and curdled looking. is there a solution to this? is it my fridge or what? someone help becuase im pretty close to not using it ever again..although it tastes so good!

6 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

How long has it been in the fridge? If it's only been a few days just rewhip it, and it should come back together. If it's longer than that I would freeze it. Take it out thaw a lil, and rewhip.

Mike

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 7

SMBC can be kind of tricky. Make sure you let it get warm enough (not warm, but not too cold) before beating it and sometimes you have to let it beat for longer than you think you should have to. I know I threw out more than I should have b/c of this same problem, but almost everytime if I let it beat on a high speed for a little longer it comes together. Watch for it to stop sloshing around the bowl. Mine will look kind of wet and curdly and then if you watch it will get less yellow and start to puff up a little and then come together and stop spinning around the bowl. My very best advice is to take it out of the fridge a few hours early and then beat it up when you are ready to use it.

HTH,

Danielle

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 7

The best thing with any type of 'boiled' icing and meringue in my experience is to let it come to room temp or a little bit below that and then rewhip it with your mixer on med. speed. It should come back together and become lighter and fluffier. Just keep an eye on it and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the transformation from watery, curdled looking mess, to a fluffy thick consistency. Think of it this way, Churnin' the butter! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 7

If you put it over a double boiler or take a culinary torch to the outside of your bowl and warm it up a bit it will be fine. You whipped it up when it was too cold causing the butter to separate, but once it warms up.. it'll be perfect again. icon_smile.gif

teecakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teecakess Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 7

okay, i let it sit at room temp. for a few hours now. im gonna go try to rewhip it to see if it'll become a frosting again. thanks for all the advice! what would i do without cc members when im in the middle of a cake crisis!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 7

SMBC is *the only* buttercream recipe I use. Mine is the 1-2-3 SMBC, from Youtube. After my first successful attempt at freezing it, then thawing overnight and rewhipping it, Iâve frozen it several times and it works perfectly fine.

I faced the same mess when I first tried to re-whip it, and since I didnât feel like throwing it away, I Googled the problem and found a tip on another site, unfortunately donât remember which one, may have been w w w . b a k i n g 9 1 1 . c o m as they have a ton of troubleshooting tips, that helps tremendously to bring curdled SMBS together: Take about 1/4 of the cold SMBC and reheat it carefully until it is completely melted and warm, then pour over the rest of the SMBC and re-whip. Comes together like magic every single time!

The only time I had it soupy was when I made it abroad, with butter that had apparently only 64% fat in it!!! It seemed fine in the making, but then it just basically slid off the cake in a soupy mess after being in the fridge for a couple of hours⦠So I donât really know what would cause the soup in the first placeâ¦

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%