Wine Bottle

Decorating By lesn Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 12:13am by sugarshack

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make my hubby a cake with a wine bottle on top. does someone have instructions for that? Also how hard is it to do that? also any suggestions for a wine cake would be appreciated. thanks so much.

Leslie

12 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 13

They actually have chocolate molds you can buy. I got mine at Candylandcrafts.com. It wasnt too hard to put the two pieces together and I ended up spraying mine with a green spray and then edible lacquer. Then I made a label out of gumpaste and painted the edges in gold and also the "cork". But you could do an edible image for the same thing.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 13
lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 13

bdrider (brenda) has a few wine bottles in her collection and they are outstanding. She is very helpful. I tried to make a bottle like hers but it ended up being one of the cakes that is worse then the stuff in my gallery so I didn't put it in. Hers are so ace.
Hth

Leigh

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 13

I mixed chocolate mmf and choc clay together and molded a beer bottle last week (pic is in my photobucket site if you want to see it) it was pretty easy to mold... I printed a label and laminated it so you probably could do something like that

Wendy

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 13

There's a gal here on CC, I forget her name, but she owns www.decoratethecake.com which just came out with a redesigned bottle mold. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 13

I've done a couple where I carve pound cake into a bottle shape using a real bottle as a guide. Carve it a little smaller than the bottle to compensate for buttercream, then fondant. The fondant was olive colored then I painted the bottle with diluted gel color mixed with lustre dust. They're in my photos.

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #8 of 13

Hi there
So this is what I did:
Got a real wine bottle covered in cornstarch and layed a thick piece of dark grey/black marshmallow fondant mixed with some gumpaste on top of the bottle that is laying down. Get as close to the bottom as possible.... (so this creates a half bottle).... I let this dry for several days and then peeled it off the bottle.... I used coloring mixed with vodka and painted lots and lots of color onto it...
I used a real wine label from the winery that the couple asked for as well as a real crate from that winery.... The cake was sheet cakes under the bottle in the crate.... I then covered the cake with BC and lots of shaved almond bark to look like shavings...
Hope this helps a bit!
Here is my pic....
LL

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #9 of 13

I made a wine bottle, although it may be larger than you are wanting. I used the bowling pin cake pan and only had to trim slightly around the top. That said, you may not have the pan.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1198717

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #10 of 13

I just started on my husband's father's day cake. It is a wine bottle in a crate like the ones I've seen. I molded it with rolled gum paste on a cling film covered bottle. I only need half a side but you could make to halves and put them together if you need it standing up.

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will try covering a real bottle. icon_smile.gif To color it do I just mix the coloring into the fondant, and then to make it shiny do I mix the color with some vodka or something? Sorry I am totally new to this! Thanks

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 13

Yes I used vodka

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%