Decorating By CakePhun Updated 30 May 2008 , 8:27pm by sweetdesignsbyla

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13
12 replies
lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 13

You can buy a diamond impression mat at most of the online cake supply stores. I bought mine for about $5.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 13

. . . http://www.earlenescakes.com/ or http://globalsugarart.com (among others) carry impression mats . . . you could probably find them on ebay as well . . .

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 13

Yup, impression mat, I just did one on fondant and it works so much better than trying to measure and make the lines yourself! Invest the $6

CakePhun Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 13

So even if I am using buttercream and not fondant I can use the impression mat? Thanks a bunch you guys!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 13

. . . yup . . . just make sure you are using a crusting buttercream recipe . . .

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 13

I tried to do it on buttercream with the impression mat and it didn't work at all. Do you have to press really hard? I know this should be obvious but I couldn't get the impression to look right. How thick does the bc need to be?

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 13

you have to press pretty hard. and make sure that you press the entire mat not just the center. The buttercream needs to be fairly thick. and also dust your impression mat with powdered sugar or corn starch to keep from sticking.
hth

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 13

also...make sure your icing has had to too crust. icon_wink.gif

CakePhun Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 13

Great! thanks you guys!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 13

Yes make sure you are using a good crusting buttercream!
Don't press the last inch or you'll press the end of the mat in. Start in the back of the cake and hold the mat still with one hand. Smooth your other hand up and down on the mat working your way around, but stop about an inch before the end. Remove the mat (wipe it off if you need to) then line it up and repeat. Good luck

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 13

Hey, does anyone know if you airbrush fondant black will it turn people's mouths black? Didn't know if it would be better to buy it black or airbrush it. I'm not very experienced with it. I'm doing a groom's cake and they are afraid it will turn peoples mouths black. TIA

sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 13

Nice cake, yep, bet that was done with Impression mat, good luck, I'm sure it will turn out great icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%