Liquid Gold-Can Someone Tell Me About It?

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 30 May 2008 , 8:30pm by fat-sissy

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 8

I need to know about liquid gold. Can it be used on Fondant? Buttercream? Do you just paint it on or do you add anything to it like you do the dust? Where can I purchase some? Is it better then the dust? Easier to work with? thanks

sunflowerfreak

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #2 of 8

Sweetie

Liquid gold is an edible gold which is painted onto a cake. I prefer it for small work such as you described on the cake you told us about earlier.

The item is actually called Edible Liquid Gold, and it is made by Sugarflair. Only a small group of companies here in the US carry this brand. I know Beryl's does, but I do not know if she carries the entire line of their products.

I bought mine through a vendor in the UK I order a lot of products from there), but I know that even if you order it now, it won't arrive in time for your deadline.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #3 of 8

Is it expensive?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #4 of 8

Well, I bought it from a vendor over there, and the exchange rate was about $1.85 to the British Pound. I paid about $8 for it, and it is a small jar.

It does go a long way, though. You must mix it every time you dip your brush in it, because the gold does not stay suspended in the liquid.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:21am
post #5 of 8

If you're going to order from UK anyway, I recommend Edable Arts Gold Experience - it's powder, but when you mix with vodka or other alcohol, it becomes liquid gold - and much much stronger than any lustre dust I have seen. You can see it in my photos. Best part, it's only $5 for a jar that will last you a long time.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:21am
post #6 of 8

Here is the link for the Sugarflair Edible liquid Colors from A Piece Of Cake Thames.

http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?cid=6

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 8

Wow Gefion icon_surprised.gif not everybody can do lambeth because they are very detail and elaborate but you take lambeth to a new dimention!, your cakes are amazing, you should post more of your pics! icon_eek.gif

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 8

I was very curious when I read the title of your post. And laughed when I read the post. I work in Labor and Delivery and help patients with breast feeding each day I work. We call colostrum (the first breast milk) liquid gold. I couldn't figure out how you'd use it for decorating! icon_lol.gif
I learned something new today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%