How Much Frosting Do I Need??

Decorating By JoJo4 Updated 30 May 2008 , 6:20am by gateaux

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I did a search for this question but could not find it after going through about 10 pages so I figured I'd ask. I apologize if this is a repeat.

I am presently without a kitchen (it's being remodeled) but I have a cake due on Saturday. I made 2 batches of frosting and am praying it's enough! I need to put stars around a 16" round cake and the star pan cake. I need to figure out about how much icing I will need to make these stars. I've never measured it out before. the stars will go around the bottom of the 16" round and around the top of the 16" round and will outline the star cake which will sit on top of the 16" round cake. I will not outline the top of the star cake unless it looks silly and it needs to be done.

Does anyone know approximately how much icing I will need to do these stars? i have to tint the frosting and don't want to tint too much as I will be unable to use it to ice the cake and I don't want to be short on icing for the cake.

does any of this make sense?? I'm kind of a mess right now icon_smile.gif Thank you all!

Joanne

1 reply
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:20am
post #2 of 2

You might want to check out Wilton's site, they have listed measurements on all their cakes and they tell you how much icing you will need to make the sample design. you always have a little icing left over. so it's good.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/browse.cfm

Just check out a few of their pictures and see which one will most closely match yours.

I know there should be a formula out there. I have yet to find it.

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%