Icing On My Cake Board??

Decorating By VannaD Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm by VannaD

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 8

Next week i have to do a grooms cake shaped like a boat, usually i cover my borders in pretty tissue paper and then saran wrap but this cakes a big deal and i wont it to look as professional as possible. So heres my dilema, i want to put icing on the board to where it looks like water and waves, how can i do that? Im pretty sure the board will soak up the oil and make a yucky mess, but i know it can be done and i would love to know how. ive seen ppl put icing on the boards on here all the time, so to all you pros please spill the secret!

7 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 8

No secret...just plop the icing on the board and whip it into the shape that you want.

I have several cakes on my site done that way - either buttercream or chocolate is on the boards and it makes a wonderful board covering. I never have any problems with it either!

VannaD Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 8

the board (cardboard) doesnt soak up the oil from the frosting?

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 8

I use cake board foil (you can get it at Joanns or Micheals).

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat1007&PRODID=prd57096&source=search

It's on sale right now!

They sell Wax coated cake boards as well.

You could just cover the board with the blue tissue, then saran wrap it, and then put icing on top.

Cardboard WILL soak up the BC.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 8

why not use blue piping gel. icon_confused.gif

VannaD Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for your reply! Diane, i thought of piping gel but i want it to have some waves so i need to be white and blue, i think im going to stripe the bag on side, so i cant use just pipng gel, bu thank you. Rocketgirl, they have ax coated boards at michaels, i dont think we have a joanns in my neck of the woods anymore, but there is a michaels. I think i might try to find the wax board, it sounds perfect, thank you everyone!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 8

I know they make wax boards, I dont know if Michaels sells them... but hopefully. Also you might have to buy 6 or so boards. In a pack.

Oh also, go to your grocery store and ask if you can by one of their "gold" sheet boards. even if its $1.00 or 2, it will save you alot of stress. Before I found a supply house, my grocer (Safeway) would sell me a few boards (just don't expect them to act like your personal supply house.)

Cut it down to size, and hot glue a ribbon to the edge icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

VannaD Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 8

thank you all for your suggestions, i wound up going to Michaels and getting the cake foil, and while it was on sale, i also got it for half price...AWESOME! Rocket- i didnt see your post anout asking for a board until just now, but ill keep that in mind for next time! Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%