Calling All Gardeners..weed Or Not??? Pic Included

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 28 May 2008 , 10:18pm by costumeczar

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I was hoping someone who gardens would be able to tell me if this low growing plant is a weed or indeed a plant. I often have things planted by the birds, and i don't really recall planting this. I'm always adding stuff so it is very possible i put it there. It has reseeded all over the area in little clumps. BUT>> if its a weed i'd better start pulling it. It has lots of little yellow flowers too. Here's some pics.

I've also added a couple of pics of my wisteria vine that is blooming at the moment. Enjoy.
LL
LL
LL
LL

8 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 9

Cute ground cover. I've been told anything's a weed if you don't want it.

We have that out here and I don't know what it is. I always pull it, but I didn't plant it on purpose.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with sweetflowers, anything growing where you don't want it to is a weed but this one is definitely a weed. I'm not sure of the name of it but we have it here and I pull it quickly. I've never seen it that big before. I would definitely cut it down.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I agree with sweetflowers, anything growing where you don't want it to is a weed but this one is definitely a weed. I'm not sure of the name of it but we have it here and I pull it quickly. I've never seen it that big before. I would definitely cut it down.

Yikes...it's a weed! I have this in numerous places in that portion of the landscape. I kinda figured it might be a weed because it was growing so rapidly and spreading. Almost too good to be true in such a hot spot of my landscape. I don't mind the look of it, and the yellow flowers are pretty but if it's gonna take over the area i'm pulling those babies out.
Thanks for your help guys. I will get digging as soon as the temps warm up again. They are calling for frost tonight. I just finished pulling in all my plant boxes and covering the ones in the groung. I'm sooo done with this cold fluctuating weather.

suz

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 9

looks like one of the buttercups - tall buttercup most likely, a little hard to tell from the picture and maturity of the plant

It is definately a weed - you can look up how to control it on google, but it doesnt survive culitation well - ie destroy the taproot and it will die so digging it up will work!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 9

I think that's wild strawberries. It's a weed, but if it doesn't bother you you can leave it alone. It will eventually grow little strawberry-looking berries on it, but the birds don't eat it, so it's not really an edible thing. we used to eat them when we were kids, but they're so small you'd probably have to eat about 100 of them to do any damage (as far as I know!)

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think that's wild strawberries. It's a weed, but if it doesn't bother you you can leave it alone. It will eventually grow little strawberry-looking berries on it, but the birds don't eat it, so it's not really an edible thing. we used to eat them when we were kids, but they're so small you'd probably have to eat about 100 of them to do any damage (as far as I know!)

wild strawberries generally have white flowers

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 9

It's creeping cinquefoil - and it spreads like nothing else, as you have noticed icon_lol.gif but it's not a weed, it's commonly used as a ground cover. Then again, so is ivy, and I regard that as weed (and spent most of april pulling it out of my garden).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 9

You're right about the wild strawberries...I went outside and inspected the fine crop that I have growing in my yard, and the flowers have dropped off but the leaves are different than the picture. And oh my God, do I realize that I need to weed out there! Or maybe I'll let nature grow where it wants to and pretend it planned it that way! You should see the Mexican Primrose that came up this year wherever it felt like it... icon_surprised.gif And today I noticed that the large blueberry bush that's coming up isn't a blueberry, it's a TREE that rooted itself there. Sheesh...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%