Homemade Fondant - Michele Foster's Vs. Toba's????

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 27 May 2008 , 2:13am by Michele25

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to try making my own fondant. I looked through several recipes in the recipe section, and would like to try either Michele Foster's or Toba Garrett's recipe. Has anyone tried both recipes? Does one taste better than the other? Is one easier to work with?

Thank you in advance for any opinions or info you can give! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 16

I've never tried Toba's...probably because once I tried Michele's it was so perfect that I'm never changing!! Tastes great and soooo easy to work with. HTH

Michele25 Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #3 of 16

Thank you, lorijom!! I noticed a thread where some CCers said that they added the flavored creamers to Michele's fondant in place of the milk. Did you do that too or just add the milk as the original recipe stated?

Thanks!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #4 of 16

I've always used the recipe as written with my only changes limited to flavoring...my family's favorite is lemon, I used lemon oil instead of vanilla...I've also used almond and almond/vanilla. Next I plan to use orange to go on my choc. orange cake...I think your only limited by your imagination. I really recommend that you try it as it's written first to get used to how it "feels" and then experiment from there. HTH

Michele25 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 16

anyone else??

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 16

Good info. icon_smile.gif

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 16

I have made Toba's before and really liked the taste and texture, it will almost just melt in your mouth. I used a mixture of butter, almond and vanilla flavorings. I found it a little sticky to work with, but that's probably because it was my first time using any fondant other than Wilton's years ago.
Two days ago I made a batch of Michele's. I haven't used it yet, but it seems to me that it will be a little more easy to work with. Tastes good, too!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 16

Michele's recipe hands down. I have made both and Michele's tastes better and is easier to work with.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 16

I haven't tried Toba's, but I have made Michele's and I LOVE it! I have no need ot try any other...it's perfect!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 16

I tried Toba's first and then Michele Fosters. I've never made anything but Michele's ever since. Its easy to work with and tastes great.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 16

That reminds me of a question that I had about Michele Foster's recipe. If I remember right, it has milk in it, right? Does that mean it doesn't keep the same? I would love to try it b/c it sounds awesome.

alanahodgson Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 16

The sugar acts as a preservative and it will not spoil.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 16

Michele's hands down! I had problems with Tobas not coming out right every time. Michele's works for me every time! It also has a better taste because it has the butter and milk in it.

Michele25 Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 16

Wow, now I'm so excited to try making Michele's fondant!! Thanks to all who responded! I really want to try working with fondant for more than accents on my cakes. (Just got Sugarshack's fondant video and am raring to go!!!) I had bought Satin Ice a while ago, and even though it was easy to work with, it almost had a chemical smell to me, and reminded me a little of play dough! I never tried covering a cake with it and just used it for accent work. I was going to try ordering Pettnice (sp?) online, but that was so expensive too, and was worried I wouldn't like the flavor any more than the Satin Ice. From what it sounds like, Michele's fondant will taste way better than anything I could order online!

alanahodgson Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 16

I haven't tried Satin Ice, but Pettenice has a chemical smell and taste to me, too. You won't get any of that from homemade fondant.

Michele25 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #16 of 16

Thanks, alanahodgson! That's exactly what I was hoping...glad I didn't order the Pettinice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%