Hating Cake, Then Liking It

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 26 May 2008 , 11:24pm by muddpuppy

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if any of you go thru this. As I am decorating a cake, I think it looks horrible, ready to start all over, and then as everything gets put together, I think it looks o.k. The last cake I just did, I hated it so bad that I was sick to my stomach, couldn't sleep last night, then today after I got all of the decorations on, I kind of like it. Wouldn't have believed it after last night when it was half done. I just finally had to quit last night, I was so upset, but today, after its finished, its not so bad. Its the first cake in my pictures.

8 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 9

oh totally! while I'm icing it, i think omg this is going to be horrible (cuz i'm not so good at it), i'm not going to show it to anyone... blah blah blah, and then I decorate it and (usually icon_smile.gif i love it! except then i do my next cake and it looks better and I'm like why did ii like the other one?? icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 9

We are our worst critics!!!!!!!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 9

i thought i was the only one that thought like that. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
i do the same thing with every cake.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #5 of 9

Definitely, a love/hate relationship! icon_lol.gif My icing skills are not that great, so I get really frustrated at the beginning of the decorating process. Once the decorations go and on and I cover up my mistakes, I feel a lot better! thumbs_up.gif

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 9

Oh gosh, I totally understand that feeling. I am not that good of a decorator yet (I'm trying!) and get so frustrated and upset when I'm decorating and think everything looks terrible. Then after I'm completely done I start to feel differently. A great example is the 3-tier baby shower cake in my photos. I hated it so much when it was about halfway finished (made to match shower decorations) that I actually cried and considered buying a cake instead of taking mine to the shower. By the time I delivered it, I thought it was really cute!

Who knows why we're so hard on ourselves during the creating process. I wonder if other artists like painters and sculptors go through the same thing?

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

icon_cry.gif I totally agree with YOU. I go through the same thing. Funny how a good nights sleep makes everything 'look' better in the morning.

I'm my own worse critic - I will nit pick my cakes to death.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 9

icon_eek.gif I feel the same way!! I'm almost never satisfied with my half finished cakes. I ALWAYS cry and stress about the most minor imperfections in my fondant, then after I sleep and eat, and finally deliver, I'm so happy it's over I could cry again... I think the most stressfull part for me anyways, is setting up..especially whith people watching and asking questions!! I'm always shaking!! LOL!!! Then I take pictures and ask a million times of my dh "Does it look good?" ...lol....

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 9

icon_eek.gif I feel the same way!! I'm almost never satisfied with my half finished cakes. I ALWAYS cry and stress about the most minor imperfections in my fondant, then after I sleep and eat, and finally deliver, I'm so happy it's over I could cry again... I think the most stressfull part for me anyways, is setting up..especially whith people watching and asking questions!! I'm always shaking!! LOL!!! Then I take pictures and ask a million times of my dh "Does it look good?" ...lol....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%