Help! Soon-To-Be Disaster!!!

Decorating By akrainis Updated 23 May 2008 , 10:45pm by Cakebelle

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake, cookie cake and 250 truffles due on Sunday and I just came down with a horrible fever/cold yesterday. I've been taking it easy today to rally and get stuff done tomorrow but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it all done in time. Has this happened to anyone? What do you do if you get sick and can't get everything done in time??

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 9

I just power through. And load up on Vitamin C.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

I am so sorry to hear that you are sick. That really stinks! It never happens at a good time...if there is EVER a good time to get sick.

Unfortunately, unless you want to call everyone and let them know that you are down for the count - I have to say take some TheraFlu and tylenol and do as much as you can rest between projects and keep on going. It will SUCK in a big way, I know, but you made commitment, when you are the only one there you have to do whatever needs to get done no matter how you feel. You can rest on Sunday.

((hugs)) Feel better soon.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 9

This has happened to me, as well as other events, like having to be at work longer than I planned.

I've called my best friend and she's come over and helped me. I've also had my husband and kids pitch in.

There's really no magic way to deal with it, you just have to take some medicine to feel better and carry on as best you can. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope you feel better fast.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 9

Start as soon as possible! The truffles can be made ahead of time, so I would start with those. Maybe make 50 then go and take a nap. Make another 50 then go and chill in front of the tv with a blanket, and so on. The earlier you start the more time you have to do things. Make everything in steps, and feel better soon!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 9

This sorta happened to me last weekend (although not nearly as big of an order). I had a wedding cake (only my third) plus a birthday cake and I came down with some sort of eye infection...not pink eye or anything like that.. so it wasn't gross.. just very very painful... I was absolutely miserable, trying to keep one eye closed to ease the pain...which was causing a massive headache. I ended up doing everything in sections.. while cakes were baking, lay on the couch and rest, after a break, make icing, break, start fondant, break. I recommend lots of breaks if at all possible.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 9

theraflu, tylenol and a sweet husband help! feel better soon icon_biggrin.gif

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! Thankfully, the order comes from some very understanding people (and friends). I've just gotten back from the doctor with a diagnosis of strep throat. I was told that after 24 hours I won't be contagious anymore- and at that point, I'll start making the cake. I was able to do the truffle centers today and now they just need to be coated. Plus, the cake is baked and frozen at the moment. The cookie cake might fall through the cracks, unfortunately, but was really only going to be table dressing for the groom's table, so they understand and it's no big deal. If I get to it, that'd be ideal of course... but I'm just worried about passing strep to the wedding guests so I don't want to get too involved before the 24 hours are up.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

Awww that's awful! I hope you get through it and feel better.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%