What Have I Gotten Myself Into??? Venting A Bit...

Decorating By kellycakes4949 Updated 21 May 2008 , 8:06pm by diane

kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, for the past 2 years I have graciously "volunteered" to make birthday cakes for my nieces and nephews. For the next birthday my sister-in-law asked for a 2-tiered (8" & 6") "scooby doo" theme. We decided on a green coloured cake in buttercream with buttercream flowers (similar to my "flower power" cake in my photos. The scooby-doo part was a purchased scooby candle for the top. Not too difficult in my opinion and something I could do fairly "quickly".

Today she has emailed me asking, in place of some flowers, head-shot transfers of the characters. So I'm a little mad. Yes, I can do this no problem, but now my time commitment is much larger, the number of colours I will be using has increased substantially, and it's no longer a simple project.

I would be happy to do this for her if she wants to pay me for my efforts, but how do I go about asking her to pay? I know the simple answer is "tell her she has to compensate you", but it's hard to go about this when I volunteered to make the cake in the first place.

I guess my cakes are getting too good and the expectation is rising (lol).

11 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 12

Just say no. NO, I have already planned the cake. No, I don't have time.

The cake is free, right? Then they get what they get.

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

The cake is free, right? Then they get what they get.

I agree

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 12

You just say..... "aw geeze Hon..... I"ve already got the stuff for the other cake..... if you want to help with expenses, I 'd be happy to swith, but I cannot afford the time or money involved in the new design......"

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 12

whoever pays for the cake gets to choose the design.

good luck w/ telling her that, i have to deal w/ such family sometimes too

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 12

If the cake is free.. she shouldn't have a say in teh design. I do free cakes for family all the time and if there's a theme I will design around that, ut it's MY design. They want to be picky.. they can pay for it.

I'd tell her sorry.. that would take too much planning and add too much extra to the work load right now. If she'll buy edible images you can put those on, but if not.. then it's flower power baby!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 12

I am really lucky to have the family I do - my sisters know that free cakes are subject my design and they have no say. As it's been said, I'll design around the theme - and I'll show them what I've got, but they do not get picky!

Anyway, I would tell her the truth - that's more expensive and more timeconsuming and you think it would be best to keep it as is.

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

Just tell her that the change in plans will cost her because of the degree of difficulty and the time it'll take. Plain and simple. Free or pay? You decide SIL. The techniques are night and day.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 12

Well. I understand that you want to handle this situation the best way possible. Seriously, nobody likes tension between family members. At the same time, your cost and time factors are increasing. What about telling her, yes, you can handle the design. However, time and money are pretty tight.Then proceed to tell her where she can get the edible images/extra supplies needed. If she can get them for you at least she has taken on some expenses. If she huffs and puffs, kindly yet firmly state your position on expenses and time committment. I seriously think sooo many people have NO clue what time and money it takes to produce these types of cakes. Now, if you are really adventurous, you could always ask her to help make the cake!! Then she will really know what is involved in the free cakes you have so kindly been making for the kids in the family. However you decide to proceed, I wish you lots of luck!

kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for your responses! I like the idea of having her go to the trouble of having an edible image made and my putting them on the cake. Gonna go this route, least disruptive to the already crazy in-law family!

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 12

I agree with the earlier post - tell her you have all the stuff and have started working on the other design and you really don't have time to make the change. It isn't an easy thing to do though I know. Best of luck to you!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

i would stick to what was decided. she is taking advantage of you because your family. she wouldn't do this at a bakery. what does she expect for free?! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%