Need An Edible "glue" For Fondant Cake

Decorating By Maddieson Updated 21 May 2008 , 7:20pm by Maddieson

Maddieson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maddieson Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 9

My 12 year old and I are "attempting" to make a stacked book cake for her teachers for tomorrow's last day of school. She is making an apple and chalkboard that we need to "glue" onto the cakes but the last time we used a type of glue it was royal icing and since we are still extreme beginners it came out somewhat messy. We are trying to find something that will hold the chalkboard and apple to the cake without the white showing like when using royal icing. If that is the best solution - we will use it and I will clean it up as much as possible. It's our first 'stacked books' so any directions would be greatly appreciated. We are using the MMF recipe we found on this site and then we have the Wilton's fondant as backup. She is making one color blue and another either yellow or red (she's not sure yet) and then decorating like she's seen on some other pictures.

Thanks for all your help. We appreciate it. Wish us luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to say: Sorry...I didn't realize my daughter was logged into her account. Kelly (mkkma)

8 replies
dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 9

A tiny bit of water should do the trick, altho if the deco is very heavy and on the side of cake royal will hold better. Good luck!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

Hope this helps you. icon_wink.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 9

Water makes fondant stick to fondant well. Or you could take a tiny bit of gumpaste and water and let it sit for a few hours. That makes edible glue...hope this helps.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

Water is a good solution but if you need more holding power or the object is of an odd shape, like the apple, don't be afraid of royal icing. I love the convenience of the wilton meringue powder to make it and use a slightly dampened art brush to wipe away excess.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 9

a penny sized amount of gumpaste dissolved in about 1tsp H20

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 9

. . . aine2 . . . love that video . . . maybe you can address these questions from another thread regarding your "edible glue" . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeflake

Sorry to go off topic somewhat here but I have a quick question-does anyone know if aine2's tylose glue is strong enough to hold fondant flowers or bows on the sides of a cake? and if you use it for bows how long before it dries? Thanks!

I wanna know, too... that's what I thought this topic meant.

I have been mixing meringe powder and PS with a bit of water for glue and seems to work fine for the side of cake, but I always use 2 toothpicks into the cake (and into the back of the knot) for good measure.

. . . thanx in advance Lorraine . . . an' keep those videos comin' thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 9

Oh goodness, yes, the glue will hold bows or flowers on the side of cakes. The key is to just brush a little onto the fondant and let it start to dry a bit so that it is just tacky to touch and not too wet, otherwise the things you are trying to stick will just slide off! If you are sticking little roses immediately after they are made then they will stick very well. If they are completely dry then I would use a little spot of royal icing instead.

I hope that helps you! Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

Maddieson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maddieson Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 9

We are going to try them all probably. Madison is very nervous about her cake turning out perfect so we'll do whatever we can tonight.

Again, wish us luck! I'll post her pictures when we get done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%