New Brand Of Fondant

Decorating By pamconn Updated 23 May 2008 , 9:05am by PieceofCakeAZ

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 21

http://www.fondarific.com/about.html

Well, it's new to me. They have 12 flavors-one being buttercream, and 10 colors.

Love to know if any of you have used this.

20 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 21

It looks good, but WOW! That's way more than I spend on SatinIce, I hope it's worth it.
According to their chart, if I wanted to make a 14" 10" and 6" round, it would take 8.5 lbs of fondant so I would need a 10# container. That would be $80 delivered! That has to be the priciest fondant on the market. I'm waiting to see what other people think before I buy it, thanks for posting...

pamconn Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 21

Thats what I was thinking! I'm new to using fondant and don't have much experience with using different ones. I liked the idea of all of the colors and flavors. I know you can mix your own colors, but its hard to get a good red it seems.

They do have wholesale pricing, so maybe I can find a cake shop that sells it-but mark up may still make it spendy.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 21

That is pricey fondant. I currently use Satin Ice and love it. Maybe I might try one of the flavored ones to see how I like it. Thanks for the info.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamconn

Thats what I was thinking! I'm new to using fondant and don't have much experience with using different ones. I liked the idea of all of the colors and flavors. I know you can mix your own colors, but its hard to get a good red it seems.

They do have wholesale pricing, so maybe I can find a cake shop that sells it-but mark up may still make it spendy.

Satin Ice does sell red. I've never tried it (due to $$ and shipping costs) but they do carry those hard to get colors.

What I find interesting is they say it's a good source of Vit C? icon_confused.gif

pjaycakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 21

I have used the red, black and purple from Satin Ice. The colors are really rich. My avatar pic shows the red and purple fondant. I don't think I'll be switching brands, but maybe I'll get a flavored one to try for a special cake.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 21

I wonder will they be at ICES in July?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 21

Choco-pan tastes delicious (made from white chocolate) and is about half the price of this stuff if you get it from www.intotheoven.com It may also come in colors.

pamconn Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 21

I'm going to try some and I will let you know what I think.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamconn

I'm going to try some and I will let you know what I think.

Please do! I'm curious about this too. I want to try the buttercream flavored one, myself! icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:06am
post #11 of 21

interesting info on their site:

wholesale pricing is available 25%-30% according to shopping cart page

and

on the shipping policies page >>

"We make all orders fresh. Once we receive your order it will take 3 to 5 days before shipping.
If longer than 5 days you will be notified by
e-mail."

custom made fondant!

pjaycakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #12 of 21

That explains the price. I wonder if it has a shorter shelf life?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

What I find interesting is they say it's a good source of Vit C? icon_confused.gif

Colored and flavored with Koolaid??

pamconn Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 21

It says that the shelf life is one year.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #15 of 21

Too pricey for me, although I would love to taste it. I will stick to Fondyx & Satin Ice & continue flavoring it myself.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #16 of 21

Those are some funky flavors though. How would they blend with the cake flavor underneath? And what if you were using more than one color on one cake, some of those would not make a very good combination! I'm with the others, I think I'll stick with my Satin Ice and add flavor if I want!
Lori

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:23am
post #17 of 21

wow icon_eek.gif
i would love to try the tutti frutti!
they even have cake central as one of their links! icon_smile.gif

fondarific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondarific Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:47am
post #18 of 21

The flavors are mainly for kids cupcakes and cakes. The butter cream, vanilla and chocolate are for wedding and grooms cakes mainly. If you have tasted a skittle that is what the kid flavor taster like. And what kid would not want that on their cupcake or cake.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:26am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Too pricey for me, although I would love to taste it. I will stick to Fondyx & Satin Ice & continue flavoring it myself.

How do you flavored your fondant? icon_confused.gif

fondarific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondarific Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:32am
post #20 of 21

Trade Secret.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:05am
post #21 of 21

Interesting. They have a nice site and cute logo but IMO they have a seriously tough road ahead with those prices.

Even at 30% off of the retail price, 20lbs of vanilla costs more than twice what we pay for 20lbs of Satin Ice... as a small cake shop in the current economy, that increase just wouldn't work for us.

I love the idea and I am always excietd about new products... Hopefully it will work out for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%