Help! My Aunt Cant Make My Wedding Cake And No Money Left

Decorating By shandidandi Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:52pm by CarolAnn

shandidandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shandidandi Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 76

My aunt was going to make my cake and now she cant. icon_cry.gif I have made cakes before but not a wedding one and there is not enough money left to have someone else do it. I want a four tier square with fondant and gum paste flowers. I have never worked w fondant before. I would like to put the diamond pattern on it. How hard is it to use the pattern? How thick does it need to be? How far in advance can I place the fondant on the cake, can it be froze? Help please!!!

75 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 76

wow..... not to burst your bubble or anything but square cakes are complex, as is fondant. And gumpaste flowers take a while to learn. Will she let you use her pans and equipment or do you have your own?

If you have access to equipment and the wedding is not around the corner, you could practice, practice, practice but I think it's alot to take on when you are the bride AND the one making the cake. I think, unfortunately, if the budget is gone, you may need to come up with something different for the cake.

Maybe get inexpensive white frosted cupcakes and add a cute little fresh flower to the top of each one? That would be affordable and do-able......probably not what you want though. I do wish you the best of luck and am sorry this happened. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 76

Another idea......what do you/the groom or your parents do for a living? Perhaps you could get someone to do a cake for trade. I.E. if groom is a mechanic, landscaper, etc. he can do do a job for a baker who can, in turn, make your cake. I have seen this advertised on Craig's List before and heard of people doing it.

I'm not sure about all the details but that is another option. HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 76

I would say go round and use fresh or silk flowers. You will have a lot more hair left when you're done.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 76

the main thing is not to panic...everything always works out in the end....perhaps you can do what cake diva 73 suggested and do the cupcake thing...that would be pretty and a great surprise for the guests....or perhaps you can even ask the bridesmaids and groomsmen to all bring a cake from their favorite bakeries....and then you'll have cake for all the tables!!!! depending on how many people and if you can ask the wedding party for something like that....and then you can just be respondsible for getting/ making a small cake for you and the groom to cut!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 76

I too second the cupcakes!! There are some beautiful ones out there and by adding simply fondant flowers that can be easily made it looks really elegant!!! You can make the flowers weeks in advance....bake and freeze the cupcakes and take them out 2 days before ..pipe a cute swirl and add a flower...very simple and do able!!! I think you would be taking on way too much to do that size cake you talked about..Fondant takes much practice to be able to cover a cake well.

shandidandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shandidandi Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 76

Thanks you all have given me some good ideas Ill let you know how it turns out

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 76

This sounds like it might be a good opportunity for a cake dummy. Make your cake ahead of time out of styrofoam (I have never done a cake dummy, but I'm sure if you went that route, friends here would help) You could use silk or fresh flowers on it instead of gumpaste. Then, serve bought sheet cakes from the kitchen.

Until now, I never thought cake dummies would be useful at all, but in your case, I think it might work. It all depends on when your wedding is.

Good luck to you! I agree that all things work out fine in the end-try not to let this ruin your day.

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 76

I second the dummy cake idea. You can bake a sheet cake to serve your guests and have this beautiful cake to display. Plus it will be a lot less stressful to complete since you can take your time decorating a dummy cake without the added stress of the baking, torting, filling etc that goes into a wedding cake

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 76

I third the dummy cake idea! Good one imakecakes!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 76

When is the wedding? If your Aunt can't help you because of timing, maybe she can make the dummy now and you can get started on those sheet cakes. icon_smile.gif That way, you don't have to look like a pro yet, just taste like one. icon_smile.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 76

All great ideas. But what about a fellow CC'r lending a hand if there's one in her area? Just a thought.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 76

I've been to two wedding recently and they both had cupcakes instead of the traditional cake. They were cute and everyone loved them.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky27

or perhaps you can even ask the bridesmaids and groomsmen to all bring a cake from their favorite bakeries....and then you'll have cake for all the tables!!!! depending on how many people and if you can ask the wedding party for something like that....and then you can just be respondsible for getting/ making a small cake for you and the groom to cut!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!

Please do not consider this... it is not your wedding party's responsibility to pay for your wedding.

I think the cupcake and dummy cake ideas are good. If you google wedding cupcakes you can find a lot of very simple ideas to dress up a plain cupcake. Then find someone responsible to set up the display the day of. It is time consuming though so probably don't plan on doing it yourself or having one of your maids do it.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 76

I guess I would put it on a charge card and pay it off with wedding money that you get, that is if you don't want to do the dummy and cupcakes. If I was in the area I would help you out.

You may want to check with your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Maybe a student would like to do it for the experience or to get their name out there. You may strike a deal for cost.

It's hard talking to cake people about stuff like this. It would be like telling a photographer to have the guests take the pictures at their weddings.

I am a bad one to comment on anything today. My son's fiance just told him that she doesn't want to marry him, and she lives in my house. So if you were closer I would make your wedding cake, the one I was going to make for her. I would take lots of pictures and send them to her and say, see that's what you get!

And while I am at it, the reception was going to be at my house, and I was catering all the food, and paying for the honeymoon. Anybody have a nice daughter that wants to marry a nice boy who would be really good to her? And BTW, Mom can make the wedding cake.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I guess I would put it on a charge card and pay it off with wedding money that you get, that is if you don't want to do the dummy and cupcakes. If I was in the area I would help you out.

You may want to check with your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Maybe a student would like to do it for the experience or to get their name out there. You may strike a deal for cost.

It's hard talking to cake people about stuff like this. It would be like telling a photographer to have the guests take the pictures at their weddings.

I am a bad one to comment on anything today. My son's fiance just told him that she doesn't want to marry him, and she lives in my house. So if you were closer I would make your wedding cake, the one I was going to make for her. I would take lots of pictures and send them to her and say, see that's what you get!

And while I am at it, the reception was going to be at my house, and I was catering all the food, and paying for the honeymoon. Anybody have a nice daughter that wants to marry a nice boy who would be really good to her? And BTW, Mom can make the wedding cake.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Awww! If I wasn't married with 3 kids I'd marry him! (You did say there was free cake, right? icon_wink.gif )

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAB

All great ideas. But what about a fellow CC'r lending a hand if there's one in her area? Just a thought.

Are you crazy? Why the heck would someone make a free cake for someone they don't know? Do you know just a few months ago someone got suckered on here by giving free homecoming or some type of dress? Do you know what the heading was? Help! My daughter is going to a dance and she doesn't have a dress! People are always getting scammed somewhere. This may not be the case, however if she is such a special niece and is so down and out, I'm positive an Aunt would make her a cake.
If she can't afford a wedding cake or the wedding just get married and not do a reception. The old saying on here, "Champagne taste on a beer budget."
I know this sounds nasty, but this sounds pretty darn fishy.
If is was someone on here that we knew pretty well then by all means I would certainly be there, but this is not one of those cases.

foxymomma521 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 76

deetmar, I just peeked at your cakes, and they are lovely! I'm so sorry to hear of your sad situation, and hope it gets better soon!

foxymomma521 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:

Are you crazy? Why the heck would someone make a free cake for someone they don't know? Do you know just a few months ago someone got suckered on here by giving free homecoming or some type of dress? Do you know what the heading was? Help! My daughter is going to a dance and she doesn't have a dress! People are always getting scammed somewhere. This may not be the case, however if she is such a special niece and is so down and out, I'm positive an Aunt would make her a cake.
If she can't afford a wedding cake or the wedding just get married and not do a reception. The old saying on here, "Champagne taste on a beer budget."
If is was someone on here that we knew pretty well then by all means I would certainly be there, but this is not one of those cases.

Your post was ABSOLUTELY uncalled for.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #20 of 76

Well I'd help if I were nearby and not booked! I believe in karma - enough said.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #21 of 76

Where is "twin falls"? Anywhere near Alabama?! I'd make your cake if you were closer.

I'd go with the dummy cakes if you have the time. The cupcake idea is a good one also - very popular idea according to the web. Maybe a 6" cake on the top of the stand with cupcakes filling the rest of the stand.

Good Luck!!

NickiKR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickiKR Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #22 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

Yikes. That was harsh.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 76
Quote:

That was my VERY first thought!!! But I have no idea where Twin Falls is...and I have a suspect that it is no where near Northern Colorado icon_cry.gif

imaginecakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

OMG!!! I'm cracking up!! ( very sorry for your situation icon_sad.gif ) But I just pictured another woman sitting on your couch going over her wedding details with you while your former DIL to-be is carring boxes out through the front door! That should would be one way to stick it to her!! I sure hope things get better for you and your son!
Take Care!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #25 of 76

I would go with the suggestion of round cakes with silk/ fresh flowers or the cupcakes if I were in your situation. A simple classy design would be easy enough to do and look elegant.

imaginecakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #26 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

OHHH WOW!!!! I sure hope that you never fall onto hard times and attempt to rely on the kindness of strangers (or anyone else for that matter!)...and FYI...she was asking on ideas and guidance on making her own!!!! NOT charity! icon_rolleyes.gif We were just being nice!

cakenewbie79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbie79 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:05pm
post #27 of 76

I don't knoew where twin falls is but if i was better at cakes and you were close by I'd certainly lend a hand - what goes around comes around even the good things. The cupcake idea sounds so cute. If you did a high swirl top like a soft swirl ice cream cone you wouldn't even really have to worry about the cupcakes all being flat and even. You could use silk flowers of other cupcake toppings depending on the theme of the wedding. Why can't your aunt do the cake now - hope everything is okay!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #28 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

because sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

Ever had a wedding? They get a lot more expensive than you think, and once you're OUT of money for it (Not necessarily down and out, but just broke until after the wedding), there's no wiggle room. Especially if your budget was made with the free cake from a relative in mind. Suddenly needing to find several hundred dollars for a cake that you hadn't planned on would tax most of us. I don't blame her at all for panicking, or for turning to a cake decorator's forum for advice on how to make this situation right.

I don't recall her asking anyone of us to do it (I could be wrong)... she just wanted ideas because she's in a bind. Also, once you've paid out everything to the point where you no longer have any left for emergencies, that is NOT the time to say, "Oh, well, we'll just do the JOP thing and forget all the money we've already spent...". That's not a helpful answer to the issue. Coming up with alternate plans for her that she can carry off herself... that's helpful. icon_smile.gif

And she never said the aunt WOULDN'T make it for her... she said that the aunt CAN'T. That suggests a sudden, unforeseeable problem, and believe me, those crop up at the last minute.

I officiate weddings from time to time, and they're almost always for couples where their usual minister has had a family or personal emergency at the last minute. I can't tell you how many I've been called for with less than 48 hours to prepare, meet the couple, plan the ceremony, etc. Stuff happens, and sometimes when you can least afford for it to. Yes, people can be scamming you, but you can't live your life not helping where you can, simply because you don't want to be taken advantage of. Wisdom is knowing the difference, and sometimes even the wisest folks get taken in.

But what a horrible place the world would be if we all refused to help simply because we didn't want to get scammed.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #29 of 76

You know the saying, just when things can't get any worse. I had to find some humor in this situation. The funny thing is, she doesn't understand why I won't let her take my son's vehicle, the cell phone that is in his name, and the engagement ring. And did I mention she wants to continue to live in my home!?!

Well, I may be wrong on the engagement ring, but when you don't want to marry someone, why would you want to take their ring? Maybe she plans on selling it.

Believe me, my cakes aren't near as good as many here, but I haven't been able to upload any photos for over six months. Something to do with the new camera, and not time to really care. I come for inspiration and wisdom, and sometimes laughs. I leave with all three and more. You guys are the best.

As far as being scammed, I have seen it done by the best. I hope to be smarter, but I also believe in the kindness of people, and will lend a helping hand when I can and sometimes that means being taken advantage of.

It was all meant in good fun, but I make cakes and take to Hospice, Dr's offices, and others for free, why not helping someone out if I can?

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #30 of 76

Gee, I wish I was close to where you live. I would love to have the chance to do a wedding cake. Now granted, I am not real talented but I would love to try.

Deetmar, I am sorry about what happened to your son. I have a beautiful, sweet (remember I am her Mom) 24 year old daughter who is single and her Mom just LOVES cake LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%